675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Wheels from China any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bradley Gaunt, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

Has anyone any experience with the wheels for sale from China off eBay? Specifically those for the Daytona 675r 13 onwards. Apart from the fact I can’t find any genuine ones these are significantly cheaper.. the obvious concern would be porosity in the casting... sure they will be high pressure die cast but Chinese castings can be hit and miss... suppose I could buy a set and send them for x-ray and metallurgy testing but that seems excessive and metallurgy tests are usually sacrificial... anyone bought any and have any feedback before I’m forced to take the plunge?
    Thanks

2. Gremlin

Gremlin

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from China, for a couple of reasons;
    Quality and human rights abuses...but that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hogster

Hogster

Why not just ask on here someone would be selling a set and also there are always sets on ebay in the UK too ??

4. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

I did this as first port of call. I put a post in the wanted section, not a sausage. I’m off to Silverstone next month and need some wets on wheels before then so pretty limited to options.

5. I may have a set mate.
    I had them painted candy red for my 765 but that’s on hold at present with a baby imminent.
    I don’t think I have front discs tho.

6. Rossgo

Rossgo

I wouldn't buy wheels from China. If anything goes wrong then you chuck your pride and joy down the track. They won't be going through the same tests as genuine parts.

You say this is for wets, couldn't you just throw on road tyres on your wheels just until you get spare wheels?

7. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

Hi Lenny. I’m fine with the red. What would you take for them?
    Thanks

8. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

I will if I can’t locate wheels. Seems the consensus is to avoid the Chinese knock offs so I’ll probably go with that advice.

9. cpszx

cpszx

I have a set of used disks, front and rear, and ABS rings if you want them too.

10. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

Yes. Are they for the Brembo fronts? If not I’d still be happy with the other items.

11. cpszx

cpszx

yes they are, i was using them on my 675R. Will sort you some pics over the weekend.

12. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

Spot on. Thanks

13. 0S2

0S2

Is it even possible live by this ethos and I would very surprised if Triumph bikes didn't have a Chinese item here and there on them?
    Nearly every smart device nowadays has Chinese goods inside them including the laptop I'm using to write this :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. D41

D41

I think you either buy the part and everyone involved gets something they need, or you don't buy it & nobody gets anything.

15. GazST

GazST

Aren't the originals Chinese anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Yes, my worry wouldn't be about where they were made, likely the same factory as the OE wheels, but rather have they gone trough the same quality controls and are they made from the exact same material that triumph would have specified

17. Bradley Gaunt

Bradley Gaunt

Bought a second hand set of OEM ones in the end. Thanks for the advice