675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Why I'll be glad to see the back of 2009

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Edski675, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

Interesting post there, overseas.

I believe that the government should have let HBOS go to the wall. What sort of message is it that the banks are too big, too important to fail? Of course they're not - they're arrogant and greedy and should be broken up. Look at them now, wanting to pay huge bonuses. I'm pleased that the Govt has had the balls to introduce the bonus tax. Big business has simply become too powerful, they're like the unions in the late 70s, and need taking down to size. It needs someone with guts to take them on. I don't think it acceptable to say 'oh that's capitalism for you' as generally (and yes it's a generalism) they screw their suppliers and treat their staff like shit (eg large supermarkets) and the profit motive becomes an absolute imperative, it tramples on everything in its way.

Do we really want to live in a world where everything has a price? Where nothing is done if not for profit? I know that I don't...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cheers Ed and likewise.

The sort of message sent out by rescuing the banks is that they are too big to fail was a right one as millions of normal folks lives would have been turned upside down.
    Letting them have the ability to hand out these super bonuses is questionable at best, outrageous at worst but as the government is in the driving seat, (majority stake holder) the venom should be directed at them I feel.
    (How would you feel if you had savings, mortgage with HBOS and the government let it sink?)

With regard to the supermarkets purchasing power lets take the dairy farmers as they are quite vocal about the pressure of price fixing by the big stores.
    My advice would be to fight fire with fire and form an agreement with other farmers and insist of a fair price for their milk or hold back.
    It could backfire but the Brits like their morning cuppa and cornflakes and maybe side with them or worse case scenario, the farmers could diversify or get out of farming.

Tangent banking time.
    I would love to see a British bank open up in Sweden as the banking there is archaic to say the least. The banks open at 10 o’clock, close late afternoon and Saturday openings are a monthly event to coincide with paydays.
    I'm actually charged for using internet banking, charged for the code generator and even charged for every direct debit that’s drawn!

You should do a bit of research of the Swedish model as its core is very similar to your thinking and I think it would appeal to you. Its fundamental idea that everyone no matter of income, background is equal and its been quite successful until recent times. Sweden has opened its doors/shores to waifs n strays of the globe but of course the immigrants don’t share the same ideology and its failing and the Swedes have no public answer for it – privately is another matter of course.
    (waif n strays = non EU members and while the system of bringing them in is impressive getting employment is very difficult so most live on handouts but to bureaucrats this is acceptable as Sweden is offering refuge to certain groups and it ticks a few boxes in their social subconscious gratification checklist)

3. D41

D41

WTF???? - I think I posted at exactly the same time as Overseas & my post got bumped!! - Never mind, - his was better! I agree with OS - I don't think it's a question of whether or not HBOS should have been bailed out or not - it's more about the collateral damage that would occur if they weren't receiving government assistance.

4. Edski675

Edski675

I don't think that there would have been much collateral damage if HBOS had gone bust. Mortgages - would continue as was. Savings - all guaranteed up to £35K. Beyond that could have been for government discretion. Now, banks will fight tooth and nail not to be broken up as they're already too important to fail, so big is obviously better.

Where is the fairness in them receiving billions in capital, afterwards they can continue to behave with the same arrogance (if not more), and my business receives not a penny piece? Don't my 10 people count too? It's all so corrupt, we need to dismantle these mega corporations.

5. henrymc

henrymc

Well said Ed.
    That is the sort of thing i have been saying for a long time and people think its just me haveing a rant.
    Do people know that in Iceland the goverment let the banks that were in trouble go down the tube but the people who had invested with the w***** banker's had their investments protected up to a set level also their mortgages.
    All we hear through the media is that the Icelandic government refused to bail the banks out.
    Another thing that people seem to have forgot is that the greedy councils in this country used the money we have payed in council tax, to invest in those same Icelandic banks, Why?
    Surely we pay for the amenities that the councils provide?
    Why do they need to speculate with our money?
    Surely the money that they did speculate with should not have been in a oversees bank?
    Nothing has been done about them,
    They are another shower that need sorting out.

6. D41

D41

Well, yes - the Icelandic govt let the banks go bust, but Iceland's economy is in ruins right now as a result.

7. henrymc

henrymc

yep I know it is Darren and so is the economy in the UK and we spent a fortune shoering up the big banks :erm:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here you go Ed,

Up the revolution :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8440538.stm

Tory plan to 'curb' supermarkets
    The Tories say they plan to introduce a new supermarket ombudsman to support the interests of farmers against abuses of power by large food retailers.

The ombudsman would settle disputes between retailers and suppliers.

The Tories will announce the idea at the Oxford Farming Conference, as they call for a "new age of agriculture".

Labour is due to launch its own food strategy, with ideas such as "meat free" Mondays, more allotments and a bid to cut waste and reduce emissions

9. Edski675

Edski675

I think the idea of a supermarket ombudsman is a good one. But fundamentally people are too lazy and don't exert their buying power properly. I was in Tescos just before Christmas and saw a 'BOGOF' on Shloer grape juice - £2 a bottle, one free. However Wilko sell the same stuff at 99p per bottle, so all Tescos were doing was 'persuading' people to spend £2 by clever marketing. Most wouldn't even have realised that they were being conned.

10. D41

D41

I know I do! - I'll go to 2 or 3 grocery stores to get the things I want at the best price - probably saves me 30% or more on my food bill.

Read an interesting article the other day that estimates that 40% of food in the US ends up in the trash!

11. tim_m295

tim_m295

I think a high proportion of food in the UK also ends up in the bin. At the end of the day with the BOGOF's who needs twice the amount of for instance a fresh item? At the end of the day you go to a shop with a list of items that you want and you will always buy much more than you actually need, which is what the shops are banking on. Personally i use internet shopping as i always get exactly what i want and dont get distracted by the offers of items that you dont really need or want. And yet as it is 'free' we all take two of them. Ends up in the fridge and goes off and then gets thrown away.

Hopefully this ombudsman thing will look at the offers and try and regulate the selling and pricing of such items to ensure that the offers are actually an offer and not just clever marketing in order to convince you that you need this item and that it really is a good price.