675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

work and taking holidays

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by scaramanga, Mar 9, 2016.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga

whats your work like for taking holidays
    we work christmas to christmas with our annual leave
    now for the last 2 years ive been very busy at work with only 3 of us in our department and the bloke in charge having some potentially serious health issues leading to a lot of time off
    now all 3 of us have struggled fitting holidays in so come end of year weve had plenty left the financial guy has had a twine and said we must take them the boss over ruled this and said we could carry 1 week over but must use it before end of march in order to be sorted before end of financial year
    i have a few days left so im off today and yesterday bare in mind weve been hassled about taking them
    both yesterday and today ive had phone calls from work
    for fucks sake if they have to phone me while off that should explain why we have to carry the bloody holidays over
    god knows what it will be like next week im of 2 days and my work mate is off the other 3 lets just hope its a quiet week
    and this is our quiet period from after easter until christmas we start building up getting busier as the year goes on
    mind you quiet period last week we sent 18 full wagons to 1 customer alone totally out of character for time of year

2. Rossgo

Rossgo

That sounds horrendous to be honest. Unsure how I could deal with that.

I like my holidays literally have to go away somewhere UK or aboard, usually both plus little weekend breaks etc. Think I would pull my hair out if I couldn't have that!!

3. scaramanga

scaramanga

its not too bad
    only 3 of us in department or 2 full time and me who floats between main factory and with the other guys as i work shifts they just work days
    we all get on so try not to take holidays when were busy
    if we need holidays for whatever reason we take them aslong as 1 of the other 2 is off
    but my gripe is the financial guy who is 2nd in comand is the one who complainns and its him that actually phoned me while off
    when were in "we dont do out" but as soon as were off were needed for something even if its advise
    ive been there 20 years this year with 3 days on sick due to bike acident i know how almost all of the place works and when things go wrong im asked for advise but im not in any supervisory or management position even though ive been aproached in the past
    the thing is if your promoted via the excisting work force you dont really benifit but if brought in from outside in a higher position they are on a fair bit more than us
    like the old h&s guy he was on same rate as me and done both his own job and h&s alongside each other when he left we got a full time h&s guy he is on 10 grand a year more than me and works days only (when he turns up) never mind putting a full week in without finishing early and the sods salaryed so wont got docked for missing time unlike us who are on the clock

4. Smat

Smat

I wouldn't answer the phone, for a start.

5. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

I'd be tempted to turn your phone off for starters, not much point in a holiday if you're only going to get called up by work and reminded.

I'm in a similar but no where near as bad position, we've had one lad off on long term sick with an ankle injury since the beginning of December at another site but we have to provide cover.
    We're only a small team so covering is awkward and cocks up our shift rotor. This has meant that I've taken hardly any time off, until now, now I'm off sick myself because I've not been able to take a break from work, hardly seen my family, screwed up my sleep pattern and ended up suffering from stress. Had a week off and went back thinking I'd be okay, 2 days back I got spoken to like a twat by a university academic and I completely lost it.
    Obviously this has made the situation worse again but I got that wound up at work I decided either I have more time off or I put myself in a position where I could loose my job.

At the end of the day it should be up to you to decide when you want to take your hols, doesn't always work like that though but some appreciation from bosses when it cocks up you're life wouldn't go a miss

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. scaramanga

scaramanga

depends what phone they use if i answer or not
    ill be having words next week when boss is back in on a few matters
    to be fair we do get on and it works both ways
    but why dont they realise we are neede more than they think just because things go smoothly when were all in they think we do nowt but its obvious as soon as 1 off us is off and its anyway near busy they miss us
    and the fact the upper snobery staff havnt got a clue dosnt help

7. Stu675

Stu675

That should give a really good circle against the Indians. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog Moderator Staff Member

My holiday rules are simple.:

End work
    Set Voicemail
    Set email
    Switch off phone or lappy

Return to work, start an hour early, switch all back on, wait twenty mins, then start at voicemails.

I don't do work on holiday, if I did then I'm not on holiday, do you want to pay me while I'm off? No, off it goes then. That's it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. France has got some new laws forbidding employers from contacting employees about work matters outside of work time. They also have to restrict access to work emails and drives etc outside office hours. Trying to promote a better work life balance I guess. Snazzy!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rossgo

Rossgo

I must admit no have been in that situation before where people have rung me up asking questions when I've been on holiday at the time I just took it on the chin and helped out where I could but now I don't get bothered ever and a lot happier for it as well!! Personally I would block the work number on your phone for your holiday dates and if anyone asks why couldn't they get through just say you were away and forgot your phone!!

11. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I think you need to have a friendly chat with the finance bloke and with the boss and point out a few home truths. Gently. If you start yelling then you've lost. I guess that they probably don't realise what happens under their noses.

12. I don't get any flexible holidays, work 4 on 6 off all year, if i need a longer break i have to find somebody to swap shifts which is difficult when we have only 4 people covering 5 shifts at the moment so we're already working extra shifts.
    But on the upside i'm off sick at the moment after a knee op 2wks ago, just got a note for another 4wks.