675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Wow...

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Rossgo, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rossgo

Rossgo

Ok seriously anyone work for Morrison's at all? Any big directors on this site?!!

What the he'll are they playing at?! Just going through some of the example questions for the big restructure that every store is in the process of going through. I'm not surprised people are being knocked down to workers or being made redundant! Jesus! Why don't they just sack the whole lot of them and start from scratch be a lot easier however illegal it may be!

Good luck to all who have to go through this proces

My partner does not feel so lucky , in fact feels like crap because she now thinks she'll loose her job which she has worked through lots of different departments at all levels and has now just reached manager after years only to get this sort of crap!

2. I went through a similar thing with a past employer. Spent 14 years there and was basically told to piss off, along with a fella who had clocked up 26 years service, just so they could bring in some new people. It's so frustrating, I really feel for your partner, hope she doesn't get to stressed about it.

3. midgey46

midgey46

My mother works for them, Cash Office.

Has done for around 12yrs, is looking for jobs elsewhere though due to some recent changes!

4. D41

D41

My ex works for a big chain.....hard to believe you can work for someone for 20 years, be 50 years old, and your idea of a "good job" is to make someone a sandwich, or go fetch them a piece of chicken.

5. Rossgo

Rossgo

Pitchfork loyalty clearly gets you no where nowadays. 14 years is ridiculous amount of time why do they do this? It's clearly only going to get worse. I watched a program months back about how the country don't want people to work full time anymore because we are getting stressed etc...So their idea was to snake people work part time...like that's less stressful, how do you pay back bills if you earn half (in the best case) of what you used to earn! Country seems stupid!

6. Rossgo

Rossgo

Midgey my partner is manager of admin which includes duties in cash office. Her mum is a personnel manager and as such talks to other personnel managers (she is having to do all the work on sorting out everything etc). Apparently up people have been very upset with their results and have broken down. How can HQ think this is for the best?!

7. Rossgo

Rossgo

Darren mate. I worked in Sainsburys for a year and hal and some of those lads had been in there for years and years. They had no desire to move on or go up just carry in doing what they were doing. I found it quite strange but so liberating that a company could keep their employees as happy as that for that amount of time. Your missus must have found a winner to work for very rare I guess now

8. Totally agree with you, it's not just private sector.... Public sector exactly the same, get rid of the long servers to employ new on lower wages, don't give them pay rises and watch them leave once trained. Loyalty and experience doesn't mean a thing anymore, employers happy to have a high turn over of staff in order to minimise their paybill!! :( sorry state of affairs for us working class folk

9. D41

D41

Guess it depends mate....the meat-cutters make some serious coin.....I'm talking $60 an hour....but it takes them 10-15 years to get to that rate....the rest aren't so lucky. The ex used to make decent money as a manager, but nowt like that, then dropped her seniority and now she barely scrapes by.

Feck her.

10. The job-for-life mentality that the older generations (i.e. anyone older than me :p) have is moronic in the 21st century.

If a spotty teenager fresh out of school can do your job, then things like 'loyalty' aren't really worth much.

If you (as in one) are still there in your late thirties - through choice rather than unfortunate circumstance - then appealing to ideas such as loyalty in order to keep your job over the spotty kid (who should rightfully have your job instead) is pretty disingenuous.
    Being lazy and supposing that an employer should pay over the odds to retain you, so that you might indulge your lazyness, is naive to say the least.

This is why minimum wage laws exist - to protect you from competition from low-skilled low-experienced young men & women entering the marketplace. If it weren't for that you'd have all been out on your arse a long time ago.

Not sure if that's at all relevant to Morrisons. Just talking about the idea of loyalty being seen as an excuse to not take responsibility for one's own career - and as an excuse to mooch off of the more productive.

11. Triplex, not sure where you get your assertion that a spotty kid should "rightfully" take someone's job without knowing the persons involved. I was forced out of my job because a new manager came in and took a dislike to me, purely because I refused to become one of his brown-nosers. In fact, I worked harder than all of his cronies, hit my targets, and it was they who mooched off me. Labelling people who have been in job for a while as lazy is grossly inaccurate. Mistaking loyalty for laziness is also quite incorrect, especially when you don't know the finer details of a particular situation.

Not sure if you're for real or just trolling.

12. Rossgo

Rossgo

This is a problem, companies are clearly labelling everyone as being lazy.

I personally think there are lazy people in work areas up and down the country. However the fact that they employ them and then label them like this is beyond crazy! If you have worked hard to get into a position why should they get punished. Surely it's down too them to find out who is lazy and is not pulling their weight not for HQ to basically tell everyone if you dont pass then your be made redundant...which has basically happened in Morrison's. This shows us that they have no faith in their lower management ranks.

The people who fail this test and get bumped down I fell amazingly sorry for if they were to leave or redundant then surely that would of knocked their confidence which could have an effect on their job prospects and welll being. Which could end up with them being on the doll and then they end up on the scrap heap and just adding to the countries problems?

13. Triplex, seriously mate, re read what you've just posted.
    Gotta to ask what do you do for a living?
    BTW I'm a highly skilled 41yr old electronic engineer, so at what point does some spotty Herbert have the right to my job, not that he/she could do it anyways as he/she won't have the skills or the education or experience to do it, as they are a product of fucking awful education system and 'entitlement' attitude that frankly is a stain on this country's 20-30 year olds.
    I don't think a 21 yr old grad engineer, who one day would be my replacement, would get far in my industry with your attitude.

14. I'm actually in my 40's highly skilled, have been in the same job for the last 15 out of 26 years through choice, could have taken promotion to do something that in no way is as interesting or rewarding as my current role- lazy? Lack of ambition? No!!! Naive, most definitely not!

15. StMarks

StMarks PTG

We tend to think of Trip as our "tame troll".: He can come across as a little confrontational at times, but IMHO generally as he frequently does not shy from taking a less popular perspective than that which many of us would consider.

20 years of accrued experience should be worth enhanced renumeration/benefits, in order for the employer to retain & benefit from that valuable knowledge & experience.
    However 20 years experience is not the same as 20x 1 years experience..

16. The way I read triplex post is that IF a younger person can do your job better than you then they should be given the job. I didn't see it as him saying anyone that has been in a job for a long time as lazy. Personally I think if you're good at your job then you deserve to have it, it shouldn't make a difference how long you have or haven't been doing it.

17. Hey. I don't think you read my post correctly, because in the context of that post, I'm not sure that much of what you said makes any sense : ) The assertions I made were much more specifically qualified than your responses to them suggested.

18. I can only assume from that response that you didn't bother to read my post - but just skimmed over it? (see bold bit)
    That's ok - but it's a bit harsh having a go at someone when you didn't read their post properly before replying.

19. Rossgo

Rossgo

Midgey forgot to say good luck to your mum in whatever she decides to do and if she decides to stay to do the tests I'm sure she'll be ok throughout this process

20. 100% on the money. Anyone can turn up monday through friday for 20 years to get 20 x 1 years experience.

In the 21st century, anyone with some savvy (assuming they are capable and circumstance permits) should realise that it's in their own interest to make sure they get as close to 20 proper years experience as possible.

That aside, assuming that you knowingly choose to get your 20 x 1 years of experience (which is fine if you choose that) it is not ok (morally speaking - in my opinion) to suppose that the most vulnerable and needy of entry-level jobs (fresh school leavers / learning difficulties / whoever else is willing to compete by working for lower wages) should take second place to you (as in 'one') even though you're on a higher wage without the matching experience to back it up.

And the same goes all the way through career progression. Expecting someone to keep employing you even though someone else is better or cheaper, purely because you chose not to increase your worth to your employer and elected to stagnate, just makes no sense.

Loyalty is only worth anything, when it's actually worth something :? i.e. loyalty has no intrinsic value - unless it benefits your employer. If it does;t benefit your employer, then it seems pretty self-serving (and you should expect to be remunerated - and see your loyalty reciprocated - for serving your employer).