675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

09-12 Nissin Monoblock Seals. Help needed

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Tom.c, Jan 8, 2021.

1. 6sense

6sense

PS use to do the same trick with the zip tie overnight.

2. CamPhair

CamPhair

The problem you had with your ZX6 Is the same problem I had with the original gold calipers. No matter what I'd always end up with the "back to the bar" issue.
    Seems they were a bit hit and miss. Some were fine whilst others gave the same problem. That's why I upgraded to the black ones. Rode 10 track days last year with no issues at all.
    I still have the original gold calipers but not worth swapping as I already know they give me issues.
    New motul 660 rbf now delivered so I'll flush the existing fluid first and see how that goes.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using 675.cc mobile app

3. Rawhide

Rawhide

Not sure it’ll be your issue but felt it’s worth mentioning. I had similar issues with a previous bike, a zx6r too. I changed lines, master, pads, rebuilt callipers all without success. After a long time of just frequently bleeding I noticed just a little paint wear around one calliper bleed nipple. Turned out it was sucking in air on releasing the lever but somehow not pissing out fluid on applying the brakes apart from the tiniest bit, not even enough to leave any fluid residue. Changed bleed nipples and all was good for the rest of the time I had the bike.

4. Motul RBF is brilliant. But it is more hydroscopic than “standard” dot 4. It therefore should be changed once a year.

5. CamPhair

CamPhair

Well it's definitely not the fluid. Did a full flush, bleed etc and fitted new bleed nipples but still had issues.
    Got the chance of a pair of brembos and upgraded but still the same problem occurred.
    Have now taken off the master cylinder and sending it away for a rebuild next week.
    So by all accounts the "Honda" seals are as good as the triumph ones and now there are pair of Nissen calipers for sale on here with virtually brand new seals, bleed nipples and pads costing less than a set of seals and pads.

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

If they give you any sort of feedback regarding the MC when they rebuild it, it may be very useful to know about on here if that's ok CamPhair ?

7. CamPhair

CamPhair

Will do StMarks.

8. CamPhair

CamPhair

Good news. Eventually put this one to bed.
    Brembo mc rebuilt and tried out for the first time on Wednesday.
    Brakes worked brilliantly. Absolutely no fade and performance was consistent throughout the day. The upgrade on the calipers was also worth it as the minute you pull on the lever the brakes bite as opposed to previously where there was a considerable amount of travel on the lever before anything would happen.
    Didn't really get any feedback StMarks. They just said they had replaced both the internal seals, pressure tested it and fitted a new bleed nipple.
    Cost about £40 including the postage. Much cheaper than a new mc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. RL_675

RL_675

Has anyone else done this with the honda seals? or can tell me where i can get news seals from which will not break the bank. I did the powerhouse service and my brakes are squeaking and are really difficult to push back in. just want confirmation before i go to honda and buy a load of seals. if not i will go big and buy the hel brake calipers but i am not fast enough and cannot really warranty the spend.

10. CamPhair

CamPhair

I sold my Nissen calipers to a forum member.
    They had the Honda seals in them.
    He never came back to me and told me otherwise so I can only assume he never had problems with them.
    I did ride several track day sessions with the Honda seals fitted and whilst I had issues everything pointed to the Brembo mc.
    Unfortunately I never rode the combination of the Honda seals with a repaired mc but I'd guess you're good with the Honda seals.

Sent from my SM-G996B using 675.cc mobile app

11. RL_675

RL_675

Ok that’s good to know. Two people on here have done it and have done multiple trackdays and been fine. I will buy the seals and take the powerhouse ones out very very carefully just in case I want to put them back. If all goes wrong I pay many many pounds and get some brembos or hels or something. If anyone else has done this please let me know!!!

12. CamPhair

CamPhair

I replaced the Nissen calipers with a pair of Brembo M4 calipers.
    Only used once or twice but certainly a worthwhile upgrade to a track bike.

Sent from my SM-G996B using 675.cc mobile app