675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

1pc or 2pc Leathers

Discussion in 'Clothing & Safety Equipment' started by Captain Steffydog, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Don’t think we’ve covered this.

So, bar colour and make any thoughts before I hit the buy button on 1 or 2piece leather suits?

Plus people opinion of sizing?

I’m looking at a new set of Dianese 1 or 2pc leathers.

Probably the Laguna Seca perforated ones.

Anyone got them, do they come up big or small for size etc, any other issues etc?

This kinda thing:

IMG_0891.JPG

2. SW73

SW73

Get a 2 piece suit. Unless you're a machine, you'll also need the toilet. Taking the jacket off when you stop for a brew if it's hot works too. More pockets in the two piece for wallet, phone etc normally. Love the suit. Happy choosing

3. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Ah ok, that’s a good point.

4. towser

towser

Sort of depends on what your going to do with it. If mainly trackdays then I’d say 1 piece, of mainly road use then 2 piece is fine for occasional track day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. farmer1

farmer1

I wear dainese one piece suit and it's the best suit I've ever had.
    I suggest you go to a dainese shop and try some on, they do have a bit of strange fit (if you dont have ripped Italian torso like mine lol) and finding a salesperson with a bit of product knowledge will pay dividends in getting the correct fit etc.
    Also worth considering boots in or out?
    I'm went with "in boots" so ankle of the leathers are outside the boots if that makes sense.
    Dainese boots are like slippers and so comfortable, only downside to my choice is I'm limited to dainese boots in the future but they are so good I wouldn't want anything else now anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JohnnyPS4

JohnnyPS4

Have the earlier laguna seca 1pc pre-elbow slider version, I will openly admit I'm a bit of a poncy dainese fanboy, but I highly rate them.

The biggest thing I like is the ability to use "in boots" like farmer says, seriously comfy! as for fit and the like they will stretch a lot, especially if you whack them with some of the conditioner they come with in the kit. Other than that I found the arms about an inch too long so had them altered for about £30

After 4 years the only issues I've had is some stitching on the velcro for the boots is starting to come away, pretty minor really.

7. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I get the in or out boots thing.

I have the A* Supertech R’s with the inner booties.

So would I get these leathers inside those or not? Any ideas.

My last leathers I had taken up a fraction as I’m 5’8” and they were a tad long.

Obviously I’m packing the kinda tackle you normally find hanging beneath a Grand National winner, so that’s always an issue hehehhe

Chest is like a carved Adonis in oak, obvs.

8. farmer1

farmer1

If you're sticking with super tech boots you'll need leathers for "out boots".
    I too had super tech r boots before I switched to dainese, I'd never go back, I really recommend trying some "in boots" they are unbelievably comfy and lightweight.
    I think I read somewhere that the d store at brands hatch were taking measurements and getting dainese made to measure suits for not much more than off the peg, not sure if that's still the case or not?
    Either way I still say its worth finding a decent stockist and getting them to talk through what you want/need.
    My stuff came from d store Bristol (sadly closed down now) but the guy there really knew the product and offered loads of advice on silly things like moving your foot to this position while zipping the boot makes it easier etc.

9. GazP

GazP

You’d fit very very very comfortably in an alpinestars GP plus suit in dashing red and white.

10. Frequent Flyer

Frequent Flyer

FWIW - I’ve had two sets of 2-piece leathers and one set of 1-piece leathers. I do most of my riding on the road. I would not go back to two piece leathers.

I found that the comfort of the 1-piece far outweighs the practicality of the 2-piece by a mile - unless it’s a No.2, then loo stops aren’t an issue

Issue with 2 pieces is the join between jacket and trousers - on longer days in the saddle, I found it chafed on my back, plus the fit of the trousers pinched a bit. Not a problem 2-3hrs, but 4+ and I knew I’d been wearing it.

On track (and road) a 1 piece also won’t become unzipped/forget to zip up/break a zip join and they just look a lot cooler too

Usual story of try on, with your boots, gloves, dedicated back protector (and chest protector), backpack (if you ride with one) etc and then sitting on a sports bike too - any shop worth their Salt will let you do this as it’s completely different to just trying a suit on in the shop.

Another thing to consider (*edit you already have) - is perforated vs non-perforated. I’ve gone perforated as a) I don’t ride through the winter (no grip/dodgy at best) and in the cooler spring/autumn months baselayers (especially cycling baselayers - Castelli Perfetto Gilet) do the trick to cut the airflow out. In summer perforated is a blessing. If you do ride in winter, then it should be textiles anyway, surely? That’s what I’ve got for colder weather/commuting.

11. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Fab info guys, really helping me here.

Ok, I’d prefer the 1pc so I think I’ll stick with that.

Boots, happy to change, so I’ll bear that and those in mind, the R’s are fab, but a bit of a phaff.

I dont do winter really, so the perforated sounds like a winner.

Happy to get them tweaked to fit me by the lovely lady at Couger Leathers.

Base layers. I’ll look at that too.

Any more!?

12. As has been mentioned regards what your doing with them will be quite important. Certainly 1pc for the track.
    I would also recommend trying a few suits on. Even suit higher up the range from the same manufacturer will be tailored differently.
    Myself as the example, I couldn't get on with Italian suits due to the narrower legs but once I moved up the range to the models where stretch material went all the way up it was much better fits.
    Dainese do tend to fit slimmer figures better but the quality it top notch in their race spec stuff (mine took a lot of abuse before they gave up).
    If possible take your boots and gloves with you when you try on and if possible get on a bike or get into the position to make sure they have the length in the back you need. No good if they fit stood up and too tight in the back length on the bike.

13. For convenience, a two piece is way more practical. It also gives you the option of swapping your jackets and trousers around to suit the weather and the fashion statement you want to make.

Go for a one piece if you need a higher safety spec and for looking the muts. Even for a bloke, one pieces aren't particularly user friendly when it comes to comfort breaks, especially if you need to have a, cough, sit down. Public toilets are not a good place to have half your suit dragging on the floor. Eeoowwwww.

As everyone else has said above, there can be a lot of difference in the fit between models by the same manufacturer and even small ddifferences between two suits that are supposedly the same. I can go from a size 38 to a 42 and some styles just don't fit me at all regardless of the size on the label. The fitting guides on the official Dainese site and also fcmoto are a good start and give advice on the particular model rather than the standard general sizings. You can't beat a day of getting hot and sweaty actually trying suits on if you can manage it. Dainese also offer a tailoring service through its DStores if your new beau needs some tweaking to get that second skin look

Whatever you opt for, you've gotta post up some modelling pics when you get it.

14. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Love living where I am, just seen that the Dianese London Flagship Store is 25 mins down the road, who knew?

So I’m going to go today, lovely trip to E1, just off of Brick Lane.

15. Rossgo

Rossgo

Great thread..I too need a new 1 piece as, I will say my suit has shrunk since I bought it 7 years ago.....*giggle*

Perforations is also difficult as it's great through those summer months but when its summer but cooler won't it let in a tad too much air?

Captain why are you changing from A stars to Dainese?

Also how much are alterations and who can do professional alterations?

16. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Hiya, I went to Christine at

http://www.cougarleathers.co.uk

07599 281592

It’s not too far from me, about an hours drive, she took some length from the legs, and also took the calf areas in as there was too much material for me.

It was cheap as chips at the time, but that was years ago.

I had two sets of leathers earlier this year, both now too big, sold the Clover ones a few months back, so I was thinking if treating myself.

Never had an A* suit.

I had a used set of Clover ones, and I presently have a set of Frank Thomas.

17. Rossgo

Rossgo

Hi bud

Thanks for the info that will help for next year as I may need a bit of help on my arms and legs.

Ahh right I just thought I read somewhere someone else must of said they have A stars suit

Happy trying on them and buying Captain. Could be an expensive day for you but I don't think you will regret it.

18. Captain Steffydog

Captain Steffydog

Moderator Staff Member

Could be hehe, it’s a day out!

Will let you know how I get on later today :)

19. cpszx

cpszx

Hideout in Saffron Walden also do alterations, they altered my A* suit to make it fit more comfortably.

They also do their own suits with custom fitting which is not much more than a big brand, and they sponsor a fair few racers. If you wanted to some UK made comparison ;)

20. 675KPW

675KPW

I bought the Laguna Seca 2 piece over 5 years ago for road riding. Its still in great condition with no issues and cleans up real easy. For off peg the two piece you can select jacket by chest size and trousers by waist size.. . which you can't do with a one piece, for example for track riding my BKS one piece was right in the chest, but short in the leg. I now have a Held one piece of same chest size but it's longer in the leg length, mush more comfortable and easier to move around on and off bike.

Definitely wouldn't wear a one piece for road riding, since you can't just remove the jacket when its hot and walking around, as I found on hot summer track days you end up very very sweaty!