675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

200 miles down....300 to go!

Discussion in 'General' started by DaytonaSparky, Apr 14, 2009.

1. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Oh my god.....how restrained am I having to be?!!

What a pain in the arse the running in period is....I am sure that just after the 5000 rev limit that I am currently sticking to is where all the fun is....but it is just out of my reach!

Anywho.....not long to go until it is done.....

I admire the patience of anyone that has followed the running in guidlelines!

2. im just about to, not looking forward to it....boring, boring, BORING..but these things have to be done i suppose

3. BigBoulton

BigBoulton

I stuck to the guidelines as it was my first new new bike and didn't wanna run any risks. Was very borin but found myself goin the extra long ways through the towns and places without long, winding, tempting roads just to get the miles up.
    But once its over... Theres one MASSIVE smile waiting on the other side. You'll love it! :D :D :D

4. Graham H675

Graham H675

just do it in three days lol

5. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

I'm hoping the weather at the weekend is going to be a bit better...then I will try and get it out of the way all on one go!

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Did 285 miles on demo last night, rained for 100 of them but what fun the Bonni is, fantastic Retro Ride :cool: :lol: :lol:

7. redfreddie

redfreddie

I'm on 270 miles and counting lol I confess to going to 8000 revs once or twice while overtaking, but apart from that its been at 5000 revs ! Tis boring but cant wait to get to 500 and open up, especially once the arrow can is on to :D

8. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Yuck, running in was really dull. I got it out fo the way as quickly as I could. Less than a week for the 500 miles. But better be patient and abide by the guidelines than ruin your engine. It'll be worth it once its over and you've had your first service.

9. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Just booked the first service for 1st May.

My local dealer has a 10 day lead time at the moment, and that was the first day I could do, so only another 2 weeks of pootling around!

Nevermind.....It will be over sooner than I expect I'm sure!

Gonna up it to 6000 revs in 100 miles time anyway...so that should keep me happier at least!

10. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Sparky, I didn't bother with running in and my bike has never broken down and doesn't drink oil.

As for life on the other side of 5K rpm - oh yes :D

11. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

The dealer told me that it has a gloopy kind of oil to catch all the crap while the engine beds in....I read somewhere else that it is a lightweight oil.

Do you know which is more accurate....or am I getting confused and they are one and the same?

Maybe I'll open her up a bit and see how she goes!

12. Stu

Stu

I'm with you on that one. I was alway under the impression that the oil was a lighter weight for running in.

13. andysjt

andysjt

I have seen a link some place on the net about running in , it says you should frape the nut of it before the piston rings wear hardens that way you get the best seal between the ring & the bore suposed to stop oil burn & improve power

dont know if its true ,
    didnt bother too much with running my bike in, just took it steady for 80-100 mile no more than 7k revs then rode as normal but not over 12k revs after 500m & 1ST service again took it steady for 100 m then the full beans.

no problems

14. Rowly

Rowly

Running in oil usually contains less friction molecules to facilitate piston ring
    bed, once this has been achieved usually the manufacturers recommended
    run in period it would be then prudent to use full or part synthetic dependent
    on your riding style. ;)

15. Stu

Stu

do you mean this one.

16. andysjt

andysjt

that the one what do you think ? it all ok for your club race team thay have a rebuild every week anyway but it
    takes ball to do it to your new pride & joy especialy if your paying

17. Graham H675

Graham H675

i've done that sort of running in on my old race engines but i was running fully synth oil to start. all engines are are hot run in factory any how if reved up or not i'm not sure i do know that most car engines no longer require a running in perioud as they run the recomended oil from the start but most bike's when bought new run a diffrent oil running in oil lighter oil but more sticky grabs the debries from the machining and has to be changed for reccomended oil eg fully synth.

18. i can see the theory behind what this guy, motoman, is saying but i think i'll stick to the recommended method, that way if something goes wrong i've got some comeback...bleeding boring though but at least my new back tyre will last more than a thousand miles :lol:

19. DaytonaSparky

DaytonaSparky

Got a big chunk of the running in done today.....only another hundred miles or so to go.

Mainly stayed sensible and to 5000 revs, but now I'm over 300 miles gonna move it up a notch to 6000.

Had the occasional blip up to 7000 - 8000 revs (just to get onto motorways form the slip road you understand!!) and I think I will just give it the occasional blip once in a while.

20. when i was running mine in sparky i did it by the book until 400 miles or so then drove it normally without ripping the arse out of it. ive not had any leaks or anything. after the 500 mile service i just cracked on as normal.