675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

2014 Daytona Shifting problems

Discussion in 'General' started by James Francis, Aug 2, 2020.

1. James Francis

James Francis

Hi guys, I've had a look but can't seem to find a thread on the specific problems I'm having so here goes...any help much appreciated.

First Snetterton track day on the bike a few days ago and was all going well until the last session where I got stuck in 3rd and 4th. Back in the pits the lever was immediately very loose and has lots of excess play where it didn't before. There's also grinding feeling at a certain point when I move the lever. I took off the connecting rod (not sure on correct terminology) between the shifter shaft and foot lever and there was no more grinding and the foot lever was moving freely, so now I'm thinking the grinding is coming from within the transmission/clutch. Connecting rod also in good working order (compared this to my street triple and nothing seemed to be missing/broken).

When the ignitions off and you try and push the lever down there would normally be an instant spring back up but there's none anymore, it just stays down and is very floppy. Same story for when you try and push the lever up.

No gear is harder to find than another, there are all a bloody nightmare (including neutral) and the free play/lack of assertiveness from the foot lever really doesn't help things.

I've read some threads that talk about changing the shift plate but those people are able to change gears, it's just a bit of a hassle when applying power or higher up the rev range, where as my problem is all the time and changing any gear feels like something is really jammed up.

Cheers,
    James

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

3. It sounds a bit like mine when it failed the second time, pin had snapped on the gear change shaft which acts on the the main gear change return spring, the gear lever wouldn't return when you moved up and down, it was just all floppy.
    I've also had the pivot plate problem, but then the gear lever action feels normal but you either won't be able to shift down or up depending which side is worn.
    You're going to have to take the case off and have a look inside, should be pretty obvious which parts broke.
    Hopefully it's the spring because if it's the pin you have to buy a complete gear change shaft, unless you know a good tig welder who could maybe repair it.

https://www.675.cc/675/threads/gearshift-problems-again-new-gearchange-shaft-reqd.39771/

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596083/daytona-675r-from-vin-564948/gearchange-mechanism

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. James Francis

James Francis

Thanks for the replies lads. Will take a closer look at that pin + spring this afternoon

5. James Francis

James Francis

Does it matter which way up the clutch plates go back on?

6. The order definitely matters, better to keep them together with a tie wrap or piece of wire or something and then put them back on as they came off.