675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

5,000 RPM for 300 miles?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Clever Trevor, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Clever Trevor

Clever Trevor

Just picked up a new 675 SE - fell in love after 2 minutes of the test ride - and can't believe the sticker on the tank that says I should stick to 5,000 RPM for the first 300 miles and 6,000 for the next 200. The bike really doesn't seem very happy about this and I'm tempted to ignore it and go with the Handbook, which says no more than three quarters of the maximum revs for the first 500. I know I'm probably just trying to justify riding harder than I should at this stage but 5,000 seems a bit silly.

Any views?

Great site by the way.

2. andysjt

andysjt

all right mate welcome to the site ,

re - running in well some do it by the book ,but most don't i don't t/b/h . I Just take it easy for 100 miles till the tyers are ok then just ride as normal , but this can void you warrantee if you have a problem with the bike during the run in period .

there is a school of thought that says you must ride it hard to bed in the engine before it work hardens but if that’s true or not i don’t know

guess you will have to make you own mind up

hope this helps
    cheers
    Andy

3. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Put it this way, mine got ragged from the off. And it doesn't burn oil, nothing has ever gone wrong except for the exup valve that I had fixed under warranty, and it rides like a dream. Important thing is never to labour the engine and don't hold constant revs, you need to go up and down the range. But horses for courses :D

4. Clever Trevor

Clever Trevor

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!

5. redseven

redseven

Hello Clevor Trevor, both comments above are very true. I have done the self same thing with previous new bikes and had no problems. However I was told when I bought my 675 that as it has a datalogger " we can see what you have been doing" . If the datalogger is that accurate and detailed? I thought the running in period was a tad extreme but stuck to it any way. All the same a more powerfull engine is one that has seen a "few" high revs.

6. Edski675

Ah the datalogger. You mean that records this:

Edit - on reflection the pic is not suitable for a public forum :twisted:

No it's not mine - I haven't got big enough balls, they're still growing :D I have promised that hell will freeze over before I reveal the identity of the owner of this bike :D Anyway it was done on the track. Honest :!:

7. henrymc

henrymc

Hi Trever welcome,
    well i ran my bike in by the sticker
    did not want to cause any grief with the waranty
    and up untill the first service it used a bit of oil
    then it changed and now my bike uses little oil,
    have had it dyno'ed with a aftermarket can and have had good read outs as to bottom, middle and top end power, think both carefull and ragging work when it comes to running the engine in

8. markirel

markirel

Welcome to the site. I have an early bike and from memory my run in was to 1000 miles:
    first 300 miles - 5000 rpm
    to 600 miles - 6000 rpm
    to 800 miles - 7000 rpm
    to 1000 mile - 8000 rpm
    I picked mine up with 600 miles on the clock and found that even with only 6000 rpm that I could still break motorway speed limits. Having loads of torque didn't make the run in too much of an issue. I would have hated doing the same on an in-line 4-cylinder which would have felt pathetic and frustrating being all top end.

It is good though when the run-in is complete and you can get all the blue lights on the dash illuminated before hitting the rev-limiter.

9. redseven

redseven

That sounds about right. Although lots of average speed camera's near me helped a bit?? I set my rev warning to se mode. Almost as good as firework night. Plenty of blue flasing lights on the dash.

10. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the site Trevor, the bike run-in is a nightmare and it's just like a big red button with a sign saying 'do not push' :( ;)

11. Edski675

...so what's the first thing you do :twisted:

12. D41

D41

Like Ed's bike, my 650 was ragged from the very beginning - no probs...if it were me I'd use the 75% rule & at about 500 miles I'd wring it out for an hour or so.

13. T9Steve

T9Steve

I was told by the local Triumph mechanics that the oil put in the bikes at the factory was developed to help run the bikes during the first 600miles. It is then replaced with standard oils during the fist service, I tend to leave the hard riding until that has been done.

14. it's a mineral oil used for running in and then a semi synthetic after

15. D41

D41

Good point - had my 600 mile service done at er, 500 miles...forgot about that!!

16. Penfold

Penfold

Followed the instructions on the tank with mine and wait a pain it was. Did go over once or twice as i couldn't help it! Bike doesn't use any oil either.

17. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member

I did run mine in by the book (well sort of ish) the revs were kept down - it's the first brand new bike I had ever purchased so I did not want to do any harm. However, which ever way you do it, I would say that you should keep an eye on all the nuts and bolts for a while. I have two cases of loose bolts on the engine casing causing a little oil weep and the main bolt holding the frame/rear subframe worked its way loose, thus dropping the nut inside under the seat way down in the bowls of the bike. a morning of major fiddling and magnet on a string trying to get the nut back from the black hole. :roll:

18. i had the plastic bolts come loose that hold the 2 sides of the fairing together behind the front wheel. Not a big problem, glad I didn't lose anything, I didn't even realise at first.

19. Wow that's abit unlucky with frame bolts loosend? I've lost loads of fairing bolts, they just fall out an then you notice em gone an it's like where the he'll did they go?! Think I got two or three holding one side pannel on, must replace em really!

20. redseven

redseven

As you have a black bike I would recommend black duct tape.( kind of looks like carbon fibre) No one will notice and it will save you loads going back to the dealers for fairing bolts.