675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

5k revs "hunting"

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by thetroublemaker, Jun 1, 2009.

1. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker

Hi guys,

got a new 675 09 on the "race map" apparantly - although the ECU has been reset so i dont know 100% whether thats reverted it to default or not.

Basically at light throttle at about 5k the engine will hunt, effectively turning the fuel on and off and causing kangerooing.

dosent matter which gear, even does the same in neutral.

Anyone else had this - or is it something peculiar to my bike?

2. I've got the arrow exhaust tune on my bike and never had any probs like you. Or when it had the standard tune either.

3. I would get it to the dealers.....doesn't sound quite right to me!

4. ive got the arrow too and mine doesnt do it, so i reckon sparky could be right, get it to the dealers let them sort it out

5. I have had this problem after I had problems with water in the fuel.

I was told the cause was the bike was not adapting.

next time you start the bike from cold let it run for 12 minutes and then turn it off restart and the problem should go away.

Let me know if this works as it has worked for me a few times

6. T9Steve

T9Steve

Hi thetroublemaker
    My late 06 model is in the local Triumph workshop with what sounds like a very similar problem. With the bike running above 5k on a level road while holding the throttle steady the engine would occasionally surge forward and back for a couple of seconds then run ok for a while.

The first time it happened the managment light came on and stayed on until it went into the workshop for investigation. The fault appeared to be cleared after servicing the exhaust system torque value sited behind your righthand side foot rest mounting. On my fist long run after the workshop visit the fault appeared again so back it went to the shop, the opinion of the mechanic now is that a faulty servo motor is the problem. One has been ordered and will be fitted next week, so fingers crossed!

7. spike

spike

sounds like the dreaded exhaust valve to me, not opening correctly :(
    seems to be quite a common fault on some 675,s

8. T9Steve

T9Steve

spike

Looks like you were spot on, they replaced the exhaust value actuator unit and that appears to have cleared the fault.

9. spike

spike

:D glad i was of help mate :cool: