675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

675 For New(ish) rider?

Discussion in 'General' started by tknight, Jan 27, 2009.

1. tknight

tknight

Hi,

I'm looking for some general advice really because I have the following problem....

I've been a bike racing fan for years but never got the chance to take my test in the UK. I've recently been working in Malaysia though and they are so lax about license laws out there I taught myself how to ride and rode a TZM150 very happily for 2 years ;o)

Now i'm back in the slightly stricter UK and miss my bike so much that i'm getting my ass in gear to take my test ASAP. I'm going to do the direct access course because I feel like i've got enough riding experience to get a bigger bike than my faithful TZM. Now i've been looking around at bikes and the 675 has more than caught my eye but i'm wondering if it might be a tad too much? I know technically it's a big step but i'm quite a sensible chap and just because the bike is massively faster doesn't necessarily mean i'll end up dead in 3 corners. I want to get something that i'll "grow into" but also I don't want to be completely out of my depth either...

It doesn't help that i've got virtually no experience of other bikes... the only other one i've ridden was a Ducati 900SS which I found ok but a bit sluggish in the handling (what wouldn't compared to a TZM though!)

The reviews of the bike make it appeal to me because it's thin, light and i'm 6ft and people say it is comfy for the slightly taller rider as well as being a bit special in virtually all departments!

My friend who owns the Ducati suggested I take a look at the speed triple or the BMW F800s but i'm not overly keen on either. I'd really appreciate any thoughts you guys (and girls) have on me getting a 675 and any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

My advice start with the Street Tripe R same bike but sit up and beg style. Dead Easy to Ride and a Grin Factor of 1000% Garunteed :eek: ;) :D

The 675 takes a little more "Dedication" and is not for the faint hearted :?

Welcome on Board and enjoy the ride........... 675 :D

3. Hi Tom and welcome.

I can see where Jap is coming from but not sure I agree with him 100%. Yes the Street Triple R is very close to being a D675 without Fairings but at the end of the day it is a naked bike which will give a totally different riding experience to the D675.

Also the price you will have to pay for a Street Triple R is not going to be cheap due to the high demand for them at the moment whereas you can pick up a brand new 2008 model D675 from Jack Lilley for about £5,500.00 at the moment.

If you are able to buy new then you have the choice of D675, Street Triple, Street Triple R, Speed Triple and of course no end of Bikes from the Land of the Rising Sun the list goes on and on. however if you are on a tight budget and looking to buy used then I think a Street Triple R is not an option.

My other concern would be that whether or not you are in a position to buy New or Used if you buy a bike that was not your first choice and you find after a few months that it is not really what you wanted then you are going to loose a lot of £££££££ when you change it for what you really did want in the first place.

I suspect from reading your Post that it is the looks of the Sports Bikes that appeals to you rather than how fast they may or may not be.

Hope this helps and good luck with your Direct Access.

Midgeman.

4. I don't think it will be too much for you, especially as you say you are a "sensible chap"........ pass yer test and get your ass on some test rides...... it's the only way m8. good luck.

5. tknight

tknight

Ah all good! Thanks guys I was kinda nervous checking back in coz I thought I might get a bit of a bashing but it's nice to find a friendly forum!

Price is a factor, and yeah (although i'm slightly ashamed to admit it) the look of the 675 is too! I was hoping the introduction of the 2009 model would push the prices down a bit but I can't believe you can get a new 2008 for just over 5k... I saw some classifieds for 97 ones with only a few thousand miles on and they were going for about the same price so that's really good.

I really appreciate the input anyway and i'll check back in once i've got the DA out the way...

take it easy,

Tom

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Good luck with the test and like Iron says, Get those test rides booked. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

7. mike675se

mike675se

Speaking from personal experience I jumped on a CBR 600 after passing my DA and I had no riding experience at all before that!I know that the d675 has a lot more power than my '99 reg cbr but, like you say, you are sensible, so i'm guessing you don't want to kill yourself!

The great thing I like about the 675 (and remember, everyones views are different) is that it isn't totally track focused, meaning if you want a sensible ride to the shops, or daily commute than you can. However, on the flip side, after a bit of experience you can quite happily unleash all the ponnies and away you go.

Last point! If you went on the Gixer/r6/cbr/kwak owners club they'll probably say the say things. So get you test passed and get on those test rides! Good luck mate, hopefully see you back on the forum soon with pics of your new 675! LOL

8. Hi and Welcome,

I got a GSXR600 K2 as soon as I passed my test. I was aware that it was far beyond my experience so I treated it with respect and had no problems. I did drop it twice while stopped and that was due to my own lack of experience of not checking the side stand and stoping on gravel!

I would say that my D675 is a more forgiving ride (if I get the wrong gear it still pulls due to the amazing torque) but it does ache my wrists more that the GIXER.

The best advice is take a few test rides but I know from experience that when you have no/little experience there is not much you can gain from a test ride apart from know whether it is comfortable. If you are only going to test one other supersports, I'd go for the R6 as it is so track focused and all the power is in the top of the rev range, it'll will highlight the differences between that and the D675. The R6 was my other option when I got this and I still think it is a gorgeous bike. I just loved the 675 more!

9. If you think you have a challenge my son is 16 in march we are picking his 675 up on sunday which he is racing this year in the thundersport gb supersport. You only live once for £5500 for a 08 model get it bought and good look