675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

765 chewing starter gear

Discussion in 'General' started by Linool81, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Linool81

Linool81

Left my bike at the dyno, was called up by the guy saying my starter gear was broken. He took it off and continued his work by starting the bike with the dyno. Got the bike home with the parts in hand. Ridden the bike on track by bumpstarting it, no issues. Ordered a new starter gear, mounted easy enough and start the bike.... metal clunk and snap sound. Remove the alternator cover and once more there's a tooth out on the gear. Anyone experienced something similar? Need to change startermotor? I'm out if ideas now. 20210830_082711.jpeg 20210830_082906.jpeg 20210830_082858.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973F using 675.cc mobile app

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Those idler gears looks terrible mate. Fwiw I would carefully inspect the alternator starter gear before I even considered fitting a third one.
    Has the alternator been removed at any stage.?
    Looking at the state of the idler gears, even if the starter gear wasn't the origin of the problem, it seems likely that it will need replacing now (after engaging with ^ those ) doesn't it.?

3. Linool81

Linool81

I've considered replacing the output shaft on the starter motor, a new oem motor itself is a bit expensive from triumph. For now I'll be relying on a paddock starter and investigate further during the off season for trackdays (which is only three weeks away here in Sweden).