675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

A Daytona 675R?

Discussion in 'General' started by henrymc, Nov 1, 2009.

1. henrymc

henrymc

Have been thinking of this for sometime
    what would you put on a 675 to make it into a 675R if you were Triumph?
    if it was my decision i would put on,

1/Sigma slipper clutch,
    2/Triumph quick shifter,
    3/Nitron race shock,
    4/Nitron race internals in the front forks,
    5/full Arrow exhaust race system,
    6/BST carbon wheels,
    7/uprate the brake calipers to a higher spec,

thats about it ,
    i would not bother with any Ohlins or Brembo kit as the gain in performance would not be cost effective,

2. D41

D41

Excellent question!!! - I would have the shocks upgraded, give it a fancy paint-job & then have Gary McCoy sign the bikes....easy money!!

3. Rowly

Rowly

I think the whole concept of a 675R could be a winner if triumph decided to
    make it happen, as with Ducati with their R production models, it offers
    something different from the mass production models, a kind of uniqueness
    So your idea Henry isn't that far from been a reality, whats the cost of your
    list say on top of a new 675????

4. henry, you cant have a full race system you naughty boy, they're not legal for road use :lol:

5. henrymc

henrymc

think you may get a fiver out of five grand Rowly at a rough guess,
    a lot of money,
    you could always put forged magnisium wheels on but would only save you £300 or £400 quid,
    as i said i have been thinking on the idea for a while,
    Triumph has a street triple R so why not a Daytona R,
    but dont think they would put Carbon wheels on it,
    just think if they made a real sexed up R they could then race it in BSS and WSS?

6. Rowly

Rowly

Yeah but would sound fooking brilliant Nige, oh yes!!! :up:

7. henrymc

henrymc

Ps your right Nige,
    Triumph would not,
    but i know someone who has one on their 675 :devil: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. oh, i agree rowly...but plod dont like anything that sounds fooking brilliant, unless its on a harley or some shite like that

9. Rowly

Rowly

Yeah funny that how they can wake the dead with their straight through pipes
    and don't get an ear pulling from the plod, sports bike riders with a hint of
    noise and we're nicked, its just not fair :whaa:

10. i think we should start a campaign against harley riders and their exhausts...either that or shove spuds up 'em :lol:

11. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Thinking of Harley riders, the Admiral Nelson seems to have set sail at last. Nige I don't spose you've seen him out on your travels?

12. Rowly

Rowly

How about 4lb of C4 :lol:

13. not seen or heard anything ed, ill give him a bell during the week

14. D41

D41

Henry's list of goodies would cost a small fortune, as he mentioned - but realistically Triumph could & should do an R model, - much better than the washed-up SE idea that simply offers a different paint job & not much else.
    Defo with you on the Duc train of thought, I think it would help Triumph establish themselves even more as a 'boutique' bike-builder.
    Bear with me:

675 - standard, as is.

675 Sport - Comes with an Arrow exhaust, Brembos, & a few other nice goodies.

675 R - Comes with all the 'S' model bits, + lighter wheels, Ohlins, Carbon bits & fancier paint job.

....Trouble is, you'd then be up firmly into litre-bike territory, price-wise. - We riders know that a bike like that would be a cracker - the corporate suits/product managers probably wouldn't wanna take the risk, though - Too bad!!

15. Rowly

Rowly

I had the SE, and I must admit it certainly got some attention, but like you say
    D41 its got nowt else to make it stand out from the rest, who knows maybe
    Triumph's designers are working on something right now with the ideas that
    have been suggested, but the credit crunch and all that crap is probably putting
    them off doing anything about it.

16. SteveH

SteveH

Mines a Masterbike and as such has all the carbon fitted from the factory, which looks lovely compared to the horrible plasticky looking stuff on the standard bike (no offence to any owners out there). All the factory carbon should be included I think, as well as maybe some carbon fairing panels, seat unit, tank etc.

I'd also want to see the unsprung mass worked on considerably, so lighter/carbon wheels, titanium bolts, lighter stronger calipers, lighter disc carriers, lighter stronger sprockets and chain. Lighter clip on handlebars and lighter mounts would also help, coupled to some nice uber light clutch and brake levers.

Maybe some ultra lightweight parts like magnesium brackets to hold the fairing on, and perhaps some seriously light aircraft grade alloy for a rear subframe ala 916 Foggy rep and SPS/S/R Ducati models.

Bin the comfortable seat in favour of a foam pad stuck to some carbon, like most 'race' production bikes.

Trick suspension is a must. Not necessarily Ohlins, maybe Nitron's or something.

Lots more adjustability for the rider would be needed so rearsets would be on there.

I'd also expect to see more power and torque (not much but a little) so stronger engine internals to lift the rpm limit, different intake trumpets, and exhaust (obviously 'e' marked or it's ultimately useless as a road going special and will have to live on the track). Perhaps a revised gearbox with different ratios. Coupled to a quickshifter maybe but not essential. A slipper clutch would have to go in though. All covered nicely by magnesium engine covers ;)

To string that lot together would also need a pretty trick programmable ECU, so to add perhaps a quick action throttle or at least a fly by wire unit. ABS and traction control anyone????

To finish would be a one off colour scheme. Nothing overly flash but understated again like Ducati's R or even Desmo. maybe two options either a V dark grey halfway between the black and graphite currently used, matt finish like the street trip R with gloss graphics in regular graphite colour just saying something like "T675-R" low down on the fairing. The other colour would be an off white (ala 2009's SE 675) perhaps with red graphics instead of blue but again in matt finish with gloss graphics.

Also there would need to be a range of accessories made available to the general public 675 owners like the Ducati Corse range. So clothing (which Triumph are great at already) and parts for regular 675's like the lightweight engine covers, fairing parts, dampers and suspension bits. Basically everything that is on the 'R' except maybe the ECU and some other bits to keep it exclusive. With a larger range added though to fund the 'R' production.

Not that I've thought about this at all ;)

So Triumph my contact details can be got through the website. I await your call for a job offer, perhaps creative director for future models ;) lol

Mines a dark grey one!

Cheers

Steve

17. Rowly

Rowly

You've got the job Steve, when can you start working on our flagship model
    Yours, Triumph UK :smileup:

18. redseven

redseven

According to an article in an August issue of MCN. They wrote about a race spec 675 with 140bhp at the rear wheel. All the extra parts costing about £6k.

19. SteveH

SteveH

Taking into account the cost of the initial bike at £7589 otr so build costs being (at a complete flier of a guess) circ. £5k, extra bits for 140bhp at £6k so thats £11k. New price of a Ducati Desmo (ie equivalent model type spec) £40k, so as they fly off the shelves whenever a new model is released I would guess there's a market there giving Triumph £29k left to sort out the rest of the bike ;)

Still trying for that job lol

Cheers

Steve

20. henrymc

henrymc

I am no expert Rowly but 4lbs may be a tad over the top ,
    would think you could almost demolish a full showroom with that amount, :rotfl:
    by the way Rowly i think the powers that be may have programs to pick up on key words used on the internet and
    if they have,then C4 is defo on the list, so say hi Rowly, :oops: :rotfl:

A couple of years ago Performance Bike magazine wrote a article about a 675 that a German company called G-Lab built ,
    it had no carbon and standard wheels, upgraded suspension, race ECU, 14,000rpm red line but was putting out 142bhp at the back wheel same bhp as their race bike that won the German championship that year, but their race bike was tuned to rev out to 15,000rpm
    the article said that the engine work was not to the spec of the German equivelent of BSS but that it had been built for reliability rather than to race,
    work on the engine was not specified,
    the German motorbike tester who rode it was also a Nurburgring track instructor on Motorbikes and his take on the bike was that if it had lights then he wanted to take it to the ring and it would set a new lap record,
    now that would be one bad ass 675
    when my Lotto comes up think i will give G-Lab a call :smileup: