675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Airbag Jacket???

Discussion in 'General' started by SV_Justin, Feb 13, 2009.

1. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Have a look at this video, to me it doesnt look like anything happens??

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... EPI-106197

And then click the link on page to view the dainese airbag system. Spot the difference?

To be honest, i'm not swayed by this idea, I think its a bit OTT. And probably expensive to. Lets hope it doesnt get made law.

Opinions please?

2. falling off your bike doesnt really hurt anyway, its the impact with other objects that does the damage, not sure how the jacket would cope being slammed into the side of a car at 70 miles an hour....looks like a gimmick to me and i wouldnt pay 550 quid to find out if it did work, or didnt, as the case may be..was that a tzr he was falling off of?

3. Rowly

Rowly

Maybe they should sell these things to the idiots that try to cross a level
    crossing when the barriers are down,now that must hurt :eek:

4. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

£550 Bloody heck! The way I look at it. If people feel they should wear an airbag, they shouldn't be riding a bike. And as you said nigel, im not sure how good it would be at 70mph into the side of a car

5. they'll be designing seat belts next. :D ..or they could fill the jacket with helium so when you fall off you just float upwards. :lol: ..or perhaps inertial dampeners, star trek style. :roll: ..sorry, being silly now, you cant get that much helium into one of them jackets

6. JDB

JDB

Didn't there also used to be an airbag that was in a tank bag (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsa ... index.html), it therefore worked very similar to a car one - seemed like a good idea as many impacts are straight on rather than the ones being demonstrated by these jackets which seem rather tame - ie a good Knox back protector would be just as good. I don't think there is an ideal solution to all the variables in an accident, but the fact that they are developing stuff is good, but combine good protection with some developed riding skills and better education for other road users then its all a good thing - just my thoughts.

7. JDB

JDB

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I saw this on TV and all that stood out to me was instead of sliding along the ground he rolled along, stick your arms out and I would hate to know what damage would have been done. Nice to have safe organs but wiith both ares smashed no real compromise.

And like as been mentioned Head on into a car I ended up flat on my back 15 foot up the road? Dont think the jackeet would have helped other than have me bounce along fo a while?

9. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Just a gimmick riddled with flaws, I dont think its a good idea

10. i went over the roof of a car and landed on my hands and knees, rolled and slid down the road on my face, jacket wouldnt have done me much good, but thank god for full face helmets

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hit back of a van once at 30 left a big i impresion in transit rear door, again nice one helmet Jacket??? No Use at all. Would not have kept foot peg going through my leg when i fell over and bike landed on me.

12. Rowly

Rowly

I think these jackets would encourage riders to take more risks than they
    would normally,I believe the fear of getting hurt ultimately makes you
    more sensible and ride to your capabilities,when car seat belts were
    made compulsory how many people drove faster than they usually did
    thinking that if they crashed they wouldn't get injured.

13. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

At the end of the day if they want us to wear them then they should come free wwith the bikes we buy. That should give the govenment a reality check.......

14. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

The government has she head so far up their ### that they havent got a clue what is going on in the real world.

15. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Sound's very gimmicky, but then also I think the idea is not all that bad just possibly flawed on a few aspects. I can't imagine it'll provide any more protection than any other protected jacket and as previously mentioned probably encourage riders to have the sense of invincibility. Though at the end of the day, any theory to protect yourself in the event of an accident is always worth having a look at...

On a similar ground, the honda goldwing with an airbag also raises the question 'how effective would it be in an accident?' ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApYPzyPnFOs[/youtube]

16. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

To be honest the Goldwing is more like your living room than a bike. Remember sitting on it at the NEC in November, it was HUGE! I felt like I was sitting in an armchair rather than on a bike. It had more controls and buttons than an aircraft, from fan heaters to a CD player. I doubt you'd notice if you hit anything on one of those, you'd just keep going!