675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

And...he's off

Discussion in 'General' started by chickenstrip, Jul 12, 2009.

1. chickenstrip

chickenstrip

lost it today on the A684. :cry: My fault I was just goin to fast and not concentrating, sharp lefthander, that I know about cought me out. Just didn't remember it, so was over the white line before I even started leaning, then ran out of bend. really quite amaturish of me :). I managed to shave of some speed at the last min but it was the drystone wall that did the most and bounced me back into the road :shock:
    A lovely cupple on a classic norton I'd just passed stopped to see I was ok, which was very nice of them, if not somewhat :oops:

Bikes mechanically ok but cosmetically probably has a grands worth of minor dents and scratches to sort out. l/hand fairing, clutch cover, watsen indicator, tail fairing, both mirrors and probably worst is a dent in the tank ( which I think is maybe from my hand against the wall) this may pop back out I hope. :?:

My right hand took the brunt of it but x-rays showed no broken bits. As fate should have it I just got a pair of Astar SP1 gloves this morning which have a nice carbon knuckle guard. This got trashed but probably saved my hand. (mind you thats another 100 squids down the drain)

man it was a tough ride back home :shock: good job the 675 has lots of engine breaking, I was determined not to get rescued....how embarassing :oops:

So lesson learned....probably not. :roll:

always remember...be safe...or if not.... don't be seen

2. JDB

JDB

Glad to hear you are OK, the bike can be fixed - its harder to fix you.

3. SteveH

SteveH

Blimey sounds like you were quite lucky in minimising the damage to yourself there mate. Like JDB said, the bike can be fixed, good job your alright that's the main thing.

Hope you get it all sorted. Good job you weren't on a fast coloured 675 ;) Still great opportunity now for replacement bits from fleabay and a full on custom paintjob!

Cheers

Steve

4. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

well done for getting back on, that takes courage, glad your ok, shame about the bike though. But hey ho its only money

5. Good job Scarlet has the farings and tank for sale - cheap at £500!

Sorry to here of your off btw.

6. D41

D41

Bad luck C-S, glad that you're OK.
    Gas tanks are designed to be fairly resilient to damage (for obvious reasons) - down-side of that is they're also fairly resistant in the other direction. Gonna be a problem I think to pop out the dent.

Glad that the gloves worked for you but be warned - CF backed gloves can splinter on impact....make the new pair urethane backed. :) :)

7. glad youre ok bud

8. chickenstrip

chickenstrip

cheers guys
    I've been polishing bits and she's already looking better, most of the scratches in the fairing were just surface laquer. Bar end was back to new by the time the GP finished :)

shame you can't polish hands back into shape.....but that what my stockpile of co-codamol is for :evil:

I knew I should have gone for a slower colour. ;)

9. Stu

Stu

I concur what everyone else has said so far. Glad you are okay.

Did the bike go down or just hit the wall? I'm presuming the bike hit wall on the left side?

10. Hey dude glad you are ok.

Thata the main thing :)

11. fkkr1s

fkkr1s Moderator Staff Member

Just caught your post ! Sorry to hear it - however as many have said already Your ok and the bike can be fixed.
    Take care :cool:

12. sorry to hear mate but v glad ur ok! as everyone else has said, it's just money but ur right hand (ahem) is priceless ;)

13. Rowly

Rowly

Hi chickenstrip, Firstly I'm glad you're still in one piece, the bike can be fixed all be it
    an expensive job, it must have taken some balls to get back on it after that, no doubt
    you will be kicking yourself about it for a while but you will see it as I come out of that
    without serious injury or worse, hope you get back on the road soon.

14. Glad to hear you are OK and I know what you are going through, I came off 2 weeks back. The bike is back together but where the crash mushroom mounts through the engine and frame, the bolt bent and I'm still waiting for a new one from R&G! I tell you what, I have found a whole new appreciation for T-Cut!!!!

15. spike

spike

glad to hear your ok chickenstrip, gutted for you and your bike
    hope your back on the road asap
    good luck dude ;)

16. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Owwwwwwwww!!! - both on hand and wallet.

Glad to read that you are relatively OK.

And you didn't invent a ficitios patch of diesel or gravel but explained the true cause of the prang. Well done for having the balls to admit.

17. chickenstrip

chickenstrip

Thanks again for all the kind words. Ordered a new engine cover (£40) and gasket (£11) today which seemed reasonable.
    getting lots of sympathy at work (good excuse for getting out of brew rounds... "owh I would but.. you know the tray it really hurts my..." )

most of its just hassle. The hand will heal but getting that Watsen indicator colour matched is gonna be a real bugger :) puttin it all in perspective you know....its the key to a sane mind!

maybe I should dip the whole bike in rubber for next time?

18. Stu

Stu

If it's the alternator cover then it's a bit tricky to fit as the cover is magnetic. If it is that side, stick the gasket to the the engine site with gasket glue the put the cover on. I did it the other way and managed to ruck up the gasket which was a waste of £12 :(

19. SS have you got a Torque wrench to do the bolts with?

20. chickenstrip

chickenstrip

Ordered one yesterday. It was about time I got one.

Replaced the alternator cover today, fairly simple, just have watch you fingers when the stator gets sucked in on the rotor! Quite impressed with the machine work in there, much tighter tolerances than the T140v. I've a few pics I'll post on my gallery.

Hands feeling much better, just a sprained wrist now. With any luck I'l be out next wkend.