675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Any BMW owners smelling of piss on here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Edski675, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

I mean, IAM members. *Holds hand up* :D

Just wonderin', we've had a heated debate on the org (www.sv650.org) today about it.

2. JDB

JDB

... but I ride a 675......
    I don't have grey hair - which probably makes me different from many...
    Whats your point?

3. Rowly

Rowly

Everyones welcome on this site whether they are IAM members,ride a BMW
    smell of piss or ride a 675, so what is your point?

4. Edski675

Edski675

I was wondering whether people on here see IAM members in a stereotypical light. Thought I'd made it clear in post 1 that I have am IAM full ticket...

I asked cos on another site I post on there has been a heated debate about the benefits of IAM training. Too many on there see IAM people in a ridiculously jaundiced way, as per the title. And I wondered whether people on here had a view. Thassall.

5. redfreddie

redfreddie

Hi Edski675,

To me an IAM member would be a far better than average rider/driver with a load of knowledge that i most likely dont have the benefit of but could do with !! Nothing more, nothing less and certainly wouldnt view an IAM member in a jaundiced way, i thought that was an old view, didn't realise people are still thinking that way !

6. Edski675

Edski675

7. Rowly

Rowly

Maybe your euphemistic description of IAM members in your title didn't make it
    clear what you wanted to say,but in answer to this I have no opinion or view
    either way other than to say anyone gaining experience through training is a
    good thing and I congratulate you on your achievement, for me though my
    many years of self preservation as kept my neck in one piece.

8. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I could not rate IAMs any higher; from my experience I've met a lot of great people through IAMs and to top it I believe it's saved my bacon a few times whilst riding on my own. However I see your point with the topic title; over the past they have picked a few stereotypical views as like wise with many safety groups though to be fair I think they've shaked the old fuddy duddy ways of the past. :) Hat's off to any IAMs rider for sure! :p

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

What's an IAM :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :roll:

10. JDB

JDB

IAM = Institute of Advanced Motorists!

Its a take or leave it thing, I believe it does have an image problem - but then many things do.
    As per the comment above - any training is a benefit.
    Would I recommend it - yes (for both car & bike - I've done both) - the approach to situational awareness is very good and transferable to any style of riding, do I go to meetings - no, do I preach- not really - but I think that those who take their licence and then conduct no further training for the rest of the riding (or driving) life could do more to maintain standards (and therefore all our safety).

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Good explintion JDB. I would think a new thread on who, where, when and how much this course would be a good topic.

Anyone with any interest wish to take it up? :D

12. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I seem to remember a few topics on this, though these are probably buried deep into the forum somewhere. It's fairly cheap, you buy a membership on their site for £99 ( http://www.iam.org.uk/eshop/membershipshop/sfl.htm ) and turn up to a meeting near you ( http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdirectory/ ). Or the other way around e.g. turn up to a meeting for a first visit then decide if you want to continue then buy a membership. My local group offer a lot of support and they only ask for a donation to the petrol of the instructor (about £5 per session) which I find very fair and to top it most instructors will ride out of scheduled meets which for me is handy as I'm a victim of shift work doh! :p It's a good way to meet other riders that have similar passion in biking, also it knocks the ol' insurance premium down a notch ;)
    It's good if it's for you; though I can easily understand why people don't take it up as it may not appeal to some. :)

13. JDB

JDB

... I'll second the insurance side (this year) - for years it made no difference, then this year and now the wrong side of 40 (just...) its £135 fully comp with Adelaide (Royal Sun Alliance) for my 2008 675 -it felt like they were giving it away compared with some quotes.
    There's a simple explanation of what goes into "doing" IAM here - http://www.tvam.org.uk/default/Advanced-Rider.asp
    One comment - it makes a lot of difference who your instructor is for IAM - its all about personal relationships - I had 2 excellent ones - whose technique, knowledge and approach was spot on - we have stayed in touch even though I don't do anything else IAM related. Don't forget instructors are volunteers - mine did not want petrol money!
    I would recommend Thames Valley IAM group - its big but therefore covers all types of folk, and its Sunday morning meetings (on a sunny day) can be huge (100's of bikes) http://www.tvam.org.uk/joinus.asp its worth traveling to them if you are not exactly Thames valley. You don't have to go to the meets too much as your instructor will be local to you and your RV somewhere convenient.
    The Look Lean and Roll course is great fun - playing on a really sticky surface at the transport testing facility at Chertsey and loads of stuff on counter-steering.

14. I think that was actually preaching JDB ;) , however I totally agree that doing some sort of further training as a biker is a good idea. After all according to big brother stats ''we are 45 times more likely to have an accident than your average motorist''. I was looking recently at courses but I must admit to being somwhat confused regarding the new ERS (Enhanced Rider Scheme) currently being peddaled by the DSA. how it relates to IAM training is not exactly clear?

One thing is for sure in my mind. If your a biker you are more aware (either on a bike or in a car) than most car drivers. The simple fact that you cannot stop/avoid hazards as easily as a car makes you think much further ahead than most.

15. JDB

JDB

........ I preach on taking more training - everyone seems to think they are a motorcycle god - but you can always learn more..... that's all - take or leave the IAM!

16. i'd not heard of these iam things before so looked up their website and found one for plymouth, less than five minutes from my house...109 quid joining fee which covers the test and other stuff and a fiver donation..they also do rideouts and stuff...think i,ll take a wander down and see what its all about...thanks for the heads up guys.....ps..i,m 43, dont stink of piss and no grey hair ( does this mean i dont qualify :lol: )

17. Edski675

Edski675

Do it. I'm sure you'll learn a lot :D

18. I signed up for IAM at Christmas. I have not started yet but from the conversations I've had with them, it looks realy good. It is also a great way to meet other bikers who are local to you.

That said.........

All the people I know who have done IAM in a car, now look down on everyone else. They have become driving snobs since doing it and like to point out how superior they are.

Therefore I think that the car IAM members are spoiling it for everyone else. However this is the same as bikers that ride like maniacs. I was out the other day, going into a blind bend and a guy on a fireblade came past me on the wrong side of the road straight into the bend. It was only luck that he was not dead.

19. Rowly

Rowly

You cant educate maniacs, they come and go but most of them go............. 6 feet under :(