675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

back brake

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by andysjt, Apr 25, 2009.

1. andysjt

andysjt

HI TO ALL ,
    just a question to you all , went for a ride with my m8 the other day he was up front when a car nosed out of a junction ,no drama my m8 stoped ok but i noticed his rear wheel slip , when we stoped we talked about it & the use of the back brake , he uses his at all times in conjunction with the front , he couldnt belive that i never use my back brake unless stopped he says im doing it all wrong ?
    so im interested to know how & when do you use your back brake ?
    cheers
    Andy

2. Stu

Stu

Andy

Rear brake is a trailing brake so it has no real stopping power. The front is your main stopper so as far as I'm concerned just using the front is fine. Having said that I do use the back some times with the front. I was taught by the IAM to load the forks with the front brake then use both brakes in a 75% 25% split.

The back brake is good for stopping on loose surfaces, riding in traffic and scrubbing of excess speed in a bend.

3. Graham H675

Graham H675

taught to ride front and rear when slowing right down like u say stu 75/25%

4. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I rarely use the back. I was taught 75/25 but have largely dumped it. Triumph don't put whacking great discs on the front for nothing. I use the back in the wet, on loose ground, scrubbing off speed in bends, and hill starts.

5. I use my front mainly but do use my rear when braking hard and when doing slow manuvers.

When I was taught I was told to use both but just before I got the D675, I had a refresher lesson and they said that I should not be using my front at all for anything under 20-30mph. Both the guys saying this were also advanced examiners.

6. The Fridge

The Fridge

hi Andy, i use bac brake all the time, for hard braking it helps a little, for those tight corners wen u need to scrub off that little bit of speed, trailing the bac is the way to do it, along with a neutral throttle . then definately the bac is best wen on loose surfaces.
    wen i had my 1st 125 bac in 1988 comin round the bac of my parents house its a very loose and dusty surface, and i went straight down after using the front. now its 1st gear bac brake

7. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Had a blat out tonight and tried the less than 20 -30 mile an hour back brake only and it worked a treat :ugeek:

8. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Eeeek that's scary. I fundamentally disagree with this as a strategy. There might be times when you need to back brake it but as said up tops, Triumph don't fit mahoosive front brakes for nothing.

9. SteveH

SteveH

I never use the back unless I'm stopped on a hill at some lights and need to hold the bike for a while. The last bikes rear brake may as well have just been a paper weight so got used to not riding with one at all.

Surely you would think examiners would be able to grasp the physics that tell you when you brake the weight shifts to the front. Therefore you've more chance of locking the rear if you use it, and as everyone knows lock your rear on your bike test estop and you've failed!

Like others have said they don't fit big stoppers on the front and skinny weedy brakes on the back to rely on the back brake to stop you.

Very strange!

Steve

10. AcB46

AcB46

Rear brake pads are not the same compound as the front there not made for constant use you will be changing them regularly.
    I only use the rear for really hard breaking,slow speed control and hill starts.

11. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I've heard a few mixed things about the back break, to be fair I only use it as a stabiliser for the bike at low speeds and cant think of many cases where I would want to use it to physically slow the bike down from a fast speed in fear of locking the back wheel. Good to read about other riding styles to consider. :)

12. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Well I've been giving it a go and the more I use the back break below 30 the easier it gets and it is working fine. Tried it on the ST Sprint tonight......................... and it worked. :ugeek:

13. On the second bike that I owned (Kwak ZZR 600) I got into the habit of using the back brake all the time because a mate told me that it was much cheaper to change the pads on the back as there were only 2 :oops: (I don't ride with him anymore) anyway the reason that I stopped this silly habit was due to a very scary moment I had while out riding with the Kwak Owners Club one beautiful Sunday in June 1997.

I got sucked into riding much faster than I should have been taking into account my limited experience at that time. As I started to enter a fast sweeping right hander I noticed a car which appeared to be starting to emerge from a road on the right :eek: and I panicked and hit the rear brake hard resulting in the rear wheel locking up and the bike going all over the place luckily for me the woman driving the car saw me and did not exit the junction :D and I had the presence of mind to release the brake and ride through the situation so I got away with it JUST.

The guy who was riding behind me said that he had never seen anyone lock a back wheel at that sort of speed before :shock: and that judging by the amount of blue smoke that was created I should have a very nasty flat spot on the tyre.

This all happened in Herefordshire on an A Road with an excellent surface on a dry Sunday lunchtime (yes I know it is hard to imagine the words Sunday/Excellent Surface and Dry all together :lol: ).

The point I am making here is if you want to slow down quickly from any speed the BACK BRAKE IS NOT THE ONE TO GO FOR FIRST as on some bikes that back brake may be much better than you thought it would be :eek: .

Midgeman.

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Midgman,

I agree totally. A couple of years ago I was in a Honda PPrelude following another couple of cars coming from Claycross Power Sports having had a look at a 1000 Bandit
    Low and behold 2 boy races flew past and carried on the third was not so lucky on a 1000 Bandit hit back brake dip a T and hit the oncoming car sideways. Landed spinning on his back in front of my car and as he stopped spinning his mate rode over him at 80 plus. Motto being Use the FRONT Brakes......................

And dont take a bandit were a sports bike goes IT DONT FIT.

I stayed with the rider till ambulance came. Oldies in car were shook up but ok.

Broken shoulder bone, arm, leg, and a few internals................ other than that OK

15. This is completely wrong! The back brake is your friend. As others have noted, there are two great big discs on the front, that can stop you very quickly. In fact, they can stop you so quickly, that they can stop the front wheel rotating before you loaded the front tyre, with the result that the front wheel will wash out irrecoverably, and you crash. Its a common cause of crashes, snatching at the front brake. Its also easy to do - try it (find a straight piece of clear tarmac first).

However, if you use that little disc at the back to initiate the weight transfer, load the front tyre, and then pile on the front brake, you will stop very quickly - and if you do lock up the back by mistake, it is usually recoverable, as one poster has shown.

The trick is to practice full on braking, learn what it feels like when either wheel is locked, and make braking a drill, so that you don't snatch when Mrs Volvo pulls out on you.

16. Sound advice Dunx, I must admit I really need some practice when it comes to emergency braking, god knows what will happen half the time :eek:

17. SteveH

SteveH

Personally I'd have thought the tricks to not get yourself into an emergency braking situation in the first place :cool:

But yes I agree snatching the brake is going to have you off in a second. However I wouldn't recommend intentionally locking brakes up on your own bike to learn this skill. Could get very expensive and is pretty dangerous. I'd have thought getting on to CSS and using their brake rig and slide machine would be a much better and safer way of learning how to cope with the unfortunate situation of un-intentional wheel lock.

Cheers

Steve

18. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I use it to pull of from hill starts, but i still use it about 75:25 like stu and graham. 6000 miles and the pads still have lots of life in them

19. Stu

Stu

Only, best guess would be California Superbike School.