675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Back on a V twin

Discussion in 'General' started by Edski675, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

It's many years since I rode a V twin, have had IL4s and now the triple. Bike is in the workshiop today and the loaner is a Dullsville 650. When I saw it I thought 'what a POS'.

But once I got used to the size of it, it's a pleasant surprise - far more capable than I thought it would be. It must be twice the size of my 675. Not as slow as I was expecting, more manooverable too, riding position is odd after the 675, and not as engaging, but OK.

I could be converted :lol:

2. jimjam39

jimjam39

Dont be seduced by the Dark Side Ed

Only some of you will get that !

3. Edski675

Edski675

Ha ha - I got it - there is absolutely NO chance of that :D

4. paws

paws

Ive had to ride a dullsville when i worked at a bike training school and was suprised at how smooth and light it was! (the instructors triumph trophy died and i was the only person in the garage at the time that could ride, so had to go out in a jacket that said "Instructor" and a bike with "Instructor" plastered all over)

5. D41

D41

Dullsville????

6. Edski675

Edski675

Honda Deauville 650

7. redseven

redseven

The Duc side?? :lol:

8. Friend of mine asked me to test ride a Duc 748 last week as he was looking at buying it and hadnt ridden for a while.
    No way would I swap a 675 for that.

9. Edski675

Edski675

Friends: Eden restored :D

10. :?: :?: :?:

11. Edski675

Edski675

It means I got my 675 back and I'm a happy bunny :D

Even though the 15 miles ride back was horrible, heavy rain, spray, windy as fook, and dark, that big grin is back :D

12. jimjam39

jimjam39

I know just how you feel Edski. Every time I get on the bike I end up grinning like a maniac inside my helmet :D

13. redseven

redseven

I wouldn't swap a current 675 for a standard 748 either. The basic 748Bip was a bit of a slug. However the 748 sp/ sps / R was a far better bike. Only 10 or 15 bhp more but more fun than the 916 or even the 996. Allbeit the last ones made were 2002 and even a low mileage one now would have around 18k on the clock. With a piston speed of 24 m/s for the later 12000rpm bikes ( most jap bikes at the time were cautious of going over 20 m/s. Check out the current piston speeds). You are looking at a worn out motorcycle. Plus early electrical trouble.Then even some old Honda's have electric trouble due to age. I think the best thing, if buying and old duke, is to find one dirt cheap, maybe cosmetic damage say. Rebuild it on a budget if possible, customise it to suit your needs and keep it as a second bike.I like dukes but the maintenance on them can be a nightmare.