675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Back Protection

Discussion in 'General' started by OnlyOneWayHome, May 9, 2009.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi All,

I have noticed lately all the adverts for back protection. I just have a built in pad in the back of my leathers and my wife when she is on the pillion has nothing. Am I being really wreckless, should I ensure that both me and the wife have some proper protection?

Thanks

2. spike

spike

most leathers now have some form of back protector in now which personally i think is a good thing. :D
    18 months ago i had a 100mph get off when i hit diesel on a bend and lost the front wheel :eek:
    suffice to say after seeing road/sky etc etc etc etc.............. lol i walked away with 2 broken fingers and a few bumps and brusies.
    i had hein gerike leathers (the old tribal type ) which came with a hiprotec back protector, knees, elbows etc
    which incidentally i feel saved my life or at least stopped me from getting some serious road rash ;)
    when buying my d675 i wanted new leathers but had a tight budget, i opted for the new weiss leathers, partly for price but mainly because they come with built in knox armour (back protector included).
    although im cynical enough not to put my faith in these products totally, from personal experience any protection is better than no protection at all m8, i guess it depends on how much you like the wife :D :D :D :D

check out this link its from ride magazine has an article about back protectors
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Ride/Product-Tests/

3. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I have Heine Gerike leathers with hiprotec back pad but it doesn't go all the way down to the lowest part of the back, like the seperate protectors seem to.

4. My Alpinestars have nothing so I bought the Ride recommended - Forcefield pro 2. retails at around £80.

Kev

5. SteveH

SteveH

Personally having seen 2 friends have serious offs and nasty back injuries I'd never ride without one.

My A-Stars leathers came with some foam padding in the back which I've quickly replaced with the specific back protector for my leathers.

I wouldn't exactly say it's reckles to ride without one, just depends on how much you've got to lose ;)

Cheers

Steve

6. Its like wearing your leathers on a hot summers day - I'd rather have a shower than a skin graft! ;)

7. I like the forcefield as well. Also comes in a womans fit iirc.

8. Stu

Stu

I read somewhere that most back injuries are caused by twisting not crushing. Back protectors don't protect against twist so only server to make you look like a teenage ninja mutant turtle.

9. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

But isn't anything that could save a broken back worth having?

I have a Knox back protector, to which I have recently added a Knox chest protector.

10. Stu

Stu

[quote="Edski675
    But isn't anything that could save a broken back worth having?

I have a Knox back protector, to which I have recently added a Knox chest protector.[/quote]

Yes, but banning cars from the road on a Sunday would be the best protection :) I just have the protection which is built in to my leathers and HG textiles.

11. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Chest Protector? Now that raises another question.....

I have had a look at the Ride article (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride Magazine/Product test pdfs/6 JUN08 Back protector test.pdf) and the Pro L2 looks good. Especially if they do a womans fit for the wife as she is definately the wrong shape for any thing that is designed for a man!

Thanks, Looks like I need to find £160 then!