675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

bar end mirrors

Discussion in 'General' started by andysjt, Jan 14, 2009.

1. andysjt

andysjt

hi , can anyone tell me if it's possible to fit bar end mirrors to a 2008 daytona ? if so which would you recomend
    thanks

andy

2. Hi Andy

I have just fitted a pair of Silver Motrax Bar End Mirrors to my 955i Speed Triple as mirrors mounted in the original location give a lovely view of my elbows. They set me back £39.98 for the pair and they appear to be the same as the ones Triumph sell for the current model 1050 Speed Triple at £62.99 each but without putting them side by side I would not swear to it. However they are of a very high quality and with that amount of difference in price who cares if they are in a Triumph box because the chances are they are still made in a sweat shop in Asia.

They fit by clamping to the bar end weight which on my Speed Triple are Motrax fitted to Renthal Bars I have not tried them out yet as I do not use my bikes when there is the slightest hint of salt on the road so will have to wait and see but I know they will be 100% better than having mirrors mounted in the original Triumph location (by the way Triumph also know that the original mounting position is rubbish as they sell mirror extensions for the Speed Triple so you can actually see what is behind you).

I am wondering why you would want to fit Bar End Mirrors to a D675 as I do not have any problems with the standard mirrors on my bike.

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

And who really cares who is behind you on a 675 :? Best place for them :evil:

4. andysjt

andysjt

thanks for your reply

just want a better veiw behind i guess some aftermarket mirros would do as well

cheers
    andy

5. i dunno, i think the D675 mirrors give quite a poor view personally (unless u like looking at you own elbows) but i still wouldn't put bar end mirrors on, they just wouldn't look good.

6. I find getting my mirrors just right a real pain. I've got them just right now and only half of them are obscured by my elbows but I'll end up knocking them in the garrage and it'll be a couple of rides before I'm happy with them.

I think that it is due to the bike being so narrow. Ducati's have the same problem, on a 996 they are almost pointless. The only way to get round it is stick longer arms on them but that can sometimes look awfull. I know that Ducati do a "touring" mirror for their sports bikes that does the above.

7. Hi Andy

I do not have any pics yet but if you want to see what the mirrors I have fitted look like go to http://www.triumph.co.uk clic on tab Accessories & Parts/ Speed Triple/Other and you can judge for yourself but personally I think they are better suited to the Streetfighter look which is fine for the Speed Triple.

Oberon do a nice compact Bar End Mirror see http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk but you would have to lose the nice looking Triumph Bar End Weights as these mirrors are fixed by inserting a collar into the end of the Bar.

Good luck and let us know if you go ahead as I for one would be interested to see the result.

Midgeman.

8. Hi Andy

I now have pics of Motrax Bar End Mirrors fitted to my Speed Triple.

I hope this helps.

Midgeman.

Attached Files:

9. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Nice Bike Midgeman.............. Very nice indeed.

How dos it compair with the 675?

10. Thanks Jap.

The Speed Triple is an excellent bike it is fast comfortable and very well planted.

I would go anywhere on this bike that I would go on the D675 from a quick blast round the local back roads to a 250 mile round trip but they are completely different.

The D675 makes you feel like Rossi whereas the Speed Triple is more in the Mad Max league :evil: this is the second one that I have owned (see my Gallery for my first one in Nuclear Red) I have done Track Days on most of the bikes I have owned and the Speed Triples will match most of the Sports Bikes on the day depending of course on how good the rider is (most are better than me) :oops: .

The Speed Triple is better suited to Tracks like Mallory and Oulton Park where you do not need the 150mph top end it would certainly get left behind on Hanger Staight at Silverstone not because of a lack of power but because they start to get a bit of a handful above 100mph due to the wind buffeting trying to rip your head off.

Some people take a sharp intake of breath when I mention that I take my bikes on the Track but I do not see the problem as modern bikes are designed to go fast and rev high afterall that is why we buy them isn't it. Ok so you could come off and cause some damage but that can happen on the road the only difference is that you are not going to loose it on a diesel spill or have some Muppet in a Transit pull out on you :eek: .

The only downside to Track Time is tyre wear especially at Mallory but I think it is worth it.

Midgeman.

11. My insurance doesn't cover me for a track day. Do any of the policies do this?

12. not that i'm aware of, not standard policies anyway.

13. andysjt

andysjt

great pics midgeman ,

i miss my 955i some times , hay ho .

i have had a rethink on the bar end mirrors , one thing dont think it would look right on d675 ,another thing you would have to get rid of the taper bar ends or re engineer them

so now im gona take the mirror off and cnc an exstention ali link & have it anodised but at the mo im a bit snowed under so ill try next week to get some thing & a photo posted

cheers
    andy

14. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

That's the one thing I think about before modifying a bike if it looks any good, bar end mirrors can help no end - and with a better view behind lead's to better riding etc. With the 675 being fairly thin, and sporty looking, I'm curious to the opportunities of extending the length of the mirrors or adding a bar end. Be interesting to see the outcome.

15. I believe that you can get Track Day Insurance but they usually have something like a £500.00 excess and do not cover plastics so I just take my chances.

I bought a complete set of bodywork and tank last year for the D675 with just a very small amount of damage (the owner had his D675 parked in the yard where he works as a scaffolder and the contents of one of the lorries fell on it oops) :evil: I intend to get them sprayed up for Track Day use but cannot make my mind up on the colour as I do not want a plain Triumph colour scheme.

I quite like the Blue & White of Gary McCoy's Race bike and there are a few others that I have seen on the net so its just a matter of deciding which one to go for. If I opt for a simple scheme I will probably do the prep and base colours myself and then get it laquered professionally.

I will post pics when its done later in the year.

Midgeman.