675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Barmouth Sat 4 April 2009 (starting Telford Services)

Discussion in 'Meets' started by Edski675, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Edski675

Edski675

Administrator Staff Member

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

First off - trip to Barmouth on Saturday 4 April leaving Telford Services (M54, J4) at 9.30am, picking up at Shrewsbury Services at 10am, going on via Ellesmere, Ruabon, Llangollen, the Ponderosa, Bala, and Dolgellau to Barmouth, back via Dolgellau (can't avoid this, there's only one road back), Meifod (fabulous bends) and Guilsfield to Shrewsbury. It's been on the .org a while - so far we have about 40 bikes.

Here's a linky:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=124611

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Leaving Telford Services J4 M54 at 9.30am, heading via the old A5 to Shrewsbury and collecting at Shrewsbury Services (junction A49/A5) at 10am. Route is below. Please note that it is not yet finalised!! In particular, on reflection the rather long way round through Wem and Whitchurch is likely to change such that we go (from S'bury Services) round the S'bury by pass to the A49/A53 roundabout, take second exit (Battlefield Link Road) to the A528 and turn right onto the A528 direct to Ellesmere. The A528 looks straight but it most definitely isn't! This will save about 30 - 40 mins - it's a long enough ride as it is and I'm just a bit concerned that the timings will go haywire and people will get tired if we try to do too much. However the clocks go forward the weekend before, so there will be plenty of daylight and we should be back in S'bury (the end is my house - open invite for tea & cake) around tea time.

I will find a day to recce the route in full and put up some more detailed timings, but basically we're headed for the Ponderosa via Ellesmere, Ruabon and Llangollen. Then on to Dolgellau and Barmouth via the south side of Bala lake - this avoids going into Bala altogether - a good thing I think - and I suggest that as the police can be fairly sensitive that we trip round it in small groups and regroup at the western end.

I know that there will be some new riders coming and that for some this will be their first rideout. Please rest assured that it is not a race and you will not feel intimidated - it will be a moderate pace, with plenty of fuel/coffee/smoke stops, and it will be marked so you won't get lost. Normal org rideout rules will apply.

Coming from a distance? DarylB and Beverley (who live a few miles away from the Shrewsbury start) have kindly volunteered to accommodate. Also, whilst not exactly ideal, my old office is empty and I'd very happily let people kip in there - I can provide a sleeping bag or two. Downside is - (a) no shower, and (b) it's town centre, not ideal to park up a bike right outside overnight but I know a town centre resident who I'm sure would let us use his back garden which is secure.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be TEC then that would be very helpful.

Google map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...25&ie=UTF8&z=9

Finally a note on the weather. Rain will NOT stop play. OK?

More follows as soon as I can do the recce.

Ed

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hope this helps Ed, saves jumping about the site. :geek: :ugeek:

I all set and ready for the ride out. Can't wait, role on the 4th ;) :) :D

Still on slick's so will try and take it steady :? :cool: :lol:

5. Edski675

Edski675

A steady three digit speed ya mean :lol:

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Tee Hee...................... Ya Got Me There Edski :? ;) :) :D :lol:

7. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hope all is going well in the back ground for this meet Edski ;)

Give us a shout if I can help. Ment to PM you my mobile but I think you have it :lol:

8. Edski675

Edski675

Yessir, it is. We did the reccie on Saturday, this route is fantastic. Telford - Shrewsbury - Ellesmere - Llangollen - Ponderosa - Bala - Dolgellau - Barmouth, back via the A470 (goes over Dinas Mawddy - 600m high - fantastic descent down a glaciated valley) - and the A458 to not quite Welshpool, Meifod, Guilsfield, and Shrewsbury. It really is a cracking route, the A458 is the twistiest road I know. I'm expecting 50 bikes. It's going to be like herding cats :lol: Just hope for a dry day, I don't care if it isn't sunny (bit that would be a bonus) as Dinas Mawddy in the wet ain't nice. Looking forward to meeting everyone at Telford & Shrewsbury.

True tale - the top is a blind summit. I was about 150m off the top when an oncoming Land Rover stopped in the middle of the road, indicating to turn right, across me, along a mountain track. Two cars behind it, slowing. Next, a bike - sensible, had left enough room to stop. Next his idiot mate, who hadn't - came over the top TFF on his Suzuki muscle bike (can't remember now what it was, big naked thing) to find three cars and a bike stopped in the road - by this time I was less than 50m from the top, I saw him come over and grab the brake. I've never seen a tankslapper up close live and personal - it was scary, and as the front lost grip the back was hopping about too. How the bike stayed upright I just don't know. By this stage I was more or less level with the bloke and I saw the look of sheer terror on his face. Not nice.

9. There's at least another two people coming along with me for saturday Ed. Hoping the weather is good.

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

This is looking like its going to a "Big Un" :D :D :D

Hope your ready for all the attentin Edski :lol: :lol: :lol:

See Ya all Saturday :cool:

11. Edski675

Edski675

I anticpated 15 bikes and we'll have 50 :eek:

And the weather is going to be sunny and 15C. It says so on the BBC so they must be right!!!!! I'd still do it in pissing rain but Dinas Mawddy wouldn't be very nice - half way up it would be very low cloud and pissing rain, so you wouldn't be able to see a thing, and there is a sharp left hand bend on the way down - soon after the summit (which is about 600 - 650m - so high by Welsh standards) and it wouldn't be very nice in the wet.

I hope that y'all like twisty roads :cool: The A458 on the way back from Mallwyd to the A495 turn for Meifod is, I think, the twistiest road I know - one after another after another. There are some particularly sharp bends once we go into the rocky bit, and the one over a small bridge is the tightest of all. Seriously, PLEASE slow down.

It's getting exciting. It's a fantastic route, even if I say so myself. The end of the ride is at casa Edski for a brew and cake. We live in a cul de sac and whilst our neighbours are OK, they are very fussy. They don't know that there will be 50+ bikes parked up...haw haw :D

Will post lots of pix.

12. jimjam39

jimjam39

Well I wish I could join you, but Ive known from the first time this was posted that there was no chance. However I do hope you all have a cracking day, and I hope the weather does stay good for you. Keep an eye out for plod though, Im sure they will be around. Look forward to seeing the pics and reading all about it.

13. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Well booked an over nighter at local B&B Saturday night if anyone fancies a Jar or Two at the "Ponderosa" just up road ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi all, just A WARNING , to those of us who have race cans on , I went for a bit of a blast on Sunday afternoon up Bala via Llangynog and got stopped by the North Wales Tali ban, they checked bike over and tested the can with a noise meter (98db) they checked the misses bike cbf600 with a standard can.
    They warned me from this weekend onwards they were doing routine checks on all bikes for loud cans and small numberplate's.
    What a great way of introducing life on a bigger bike to the misses, she had a Suzuki RV 125 van van before,

Roll on Saturday :D
    We have got to do this route sometime , I guarantee that you will enjoy the route :) ;)

15. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Xcbrrider, well here's hoping they have a load of noise testers available because I know 5 people with TOR Can's on don't we Edski :lol: :lol:

See Ya Saturday

16. Stu

Stu

I've heard that noise meters are not issued by the Home Office therefore they can't use them. If anyone gets checked with a said meter, ask if it's approved by the home office and ask to see proof of calibration.

17. Edski675

Edski675

Ray - where are you stopping Saturday night?

Ian - BH why pull you? As for me having an illegal can, I couldn't possibly comment :eek:

18. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Stopping at local B&B on Friday and a different one on Saturday Ed. ;)

19. Edski675

Edski675

I called the petrol station in Barmouth and told them to expect 50 bikes Saturday. Bloke sounded very pleased:)

20. did you tell him though that it only costs £12 to fill each one up though!!