675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

BBC on new bike test

Discussion in 'General' started by Rowly, May 26, 2009.

1. Rowly

Rowly

2. I'm in two minds about this issue.

On one hand, why shouldn't a biker be able to swerve? The instructor seems to do it fine, so what is the problem?

However, what I really take issue with is that there is no allowances for the weather. 31 mph in the dry, 31 mph in the wet. What I have to ask is what message does this give to new riders. Go as fast in the wet as you do in the dry?

On the other hand, I passed my test in 2005 and have never really swerved like they are showing on the video. OK, the odd swerve round a manhole, but because I have seen it it is more like changing road position to avoid it.

This is where I think it has gone wrong. There should be more emphasis on observation and planning. That way we should never have to sweve around anything as we should always be able to stop in the distance we see to be clear.

I'm sure there will be the times when people pull out on you, but I am not sure a swerve would really save you, and if you have good obdervation and anticipation, you are expecting the person in the side road to pull out so you should be able to stop in time....

What does everyone else think?

3. I had to swerve like that on Sunday. I was in the carpark at Tesco in Wigan and a car just reversed straight out without looking. I'm glad i was on the bike as I had enough room to move, he'd have hit me if I'd been in a car.

Admittedly, I wasnt doing 31mph though!

4. spike

spike

i think if my memory serves me right, that an article in MCN was saying it wasnt so much the menouvre it was the fact that thanks to euro meddling it has to be done in excess of 50kph which takes it just above 30mph.
    now considering our roads are generally 30mph instead of fighting it the politically correct driving standards commission have spent millions building test areas at test centres to carry out this manouvre.
    the article stated that apparently the tarmac used takes 18 months of normal road use to become grippy :shock: :shock: and that your not going to get the same use at the test centres, hence its like glass and people are crashing :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. Graham H675

Graham H675

i know of a few riding schools now refuseing to let there bikes be used in the off road section.

6. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I'm with sparky. Learners should be taught not to get into a situation, not how to get out of one once it develops. What's the point of the hazard perception thing in the theory if you then have to get out of trouble on the practical? But then - people do pull out in front of you, I've had to swerve at much higher speeds than 50km/h, I'm sure we all have. So it is an important skill.

7. spike

spike

i agree with you edski, but if the test centres are not fit for purpose :shock: :shock:
    ie the tarmac is like glass, at least we can have the luxury of being in control of our own bikes and at what speed ;)
    if bike training schools are not allowing learners to hire there bikes for the test, theres got to be something wrong :?
    either the training isnt adequate, or as its been pointed out its the test centres fault, i believe two people are trying to sue the driving standards commission too

8. Rowly

Rowly

We hear it everyday in the newspapers, on TV, the HSE yep its the elf and safety
    brigade giving it large, "you cant do this" "you cant do that" where are they now
    when there's a real issue of people getting injured during a government approved
    testing scheme, it really does begger belief, it clearly has to be reviewed and
    adapted to suit weather conditions before further serious injuries occur.