675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Been given some tips

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by andykb, Jun 24, 2009.

1. andykb

andykb

I was out tonight with a couple of guys who have been riding sportsbike for 20 yrs plus. I was extremely nervous and i didnt want to hold them up as they were very good.

I was trying to pummel them for info, and the feedback i got was that my lines are very good but they told me to try and upshift without my clutch :eek: and also blip the throttle to encourage smoother decelaration into bends.
    Both felt a little alien at first but eventaully got the hang of it and i felt like i had imrpoved on both of them by the end of the night.

I was really encouraged with the feedback i got and one of them couldnt believe i had only been on the 675 for less than 8 months.
    So im felling pretty chuffed with myself but keeping my feet on the ground and knowing where my limit is.

2. I think you summed it up in your last statement!

Don't try and go too far too soon....and soon you the experience will come to back up what you are doing....

If you have gleen any other tips would be good to hear them

3. RICH675

RICH675

I can only suggest one thing to improve your riding. . . . . . . . . . . . . go black. Its by far the best colour

4. andysjt

andysjt

eerr .... should read RED i think ?

5. Graham H675

Graham H675

Na he's on the best coulor there is keep it up fella. Nice tips there fella

6. spike

spike

you mean blue :D

7. SteveH

SteveH

I agree with Graham, but to get back on subject. Clutch in blip throttle on downshift aids in letting the rear wheel keep rolling rather than locking up on spirited riding downshifts, for those of us (read as most of us) who don't have a slipper clutch ;) Helped me no end on my Ducati, and that had masses more engine braking than the 675 ever will!

As for the clutchless upshifts, yes this is a trick thats used a lot off road riding (I did it all the time on my crosser racing days). To be honest I don't think it's really worth it on the road as every last millisecond isn't quite so critical as on the racetrack, and for the damage it can do if you get it wrong, Well I'd rather just pull the clutch. It's not like it's heavy ;)

Steve

8. graycat

graycat

clutchless up shifts are worth learning in my opinion and once you get the hang of them can be very smooth. I do them all the time and have had pillions ask if I ever changed up gear as they never noticed. I'll take that as a indicator the up shifts were pretty smooth. Ok technically they don't gain you all that much time but they are fun.

Oh clutchless down shifts are not a great idea

Blipping on the down shifts is more to deminish the initial engine breaking when you let the clutch out by having the engine revs up higher in the range than if didn't. This is a good idea if you've got lots of engine breaking (ie: big v-twin) or are hammering the snot out of your bike. Slipper clutches were designed to eliminate the need for this I think.

9. I love my quickshifter for this :)

10. D41

D41

I've been doing them since shortly after I started riding - don't even think about them anymore to be honest - I only ever upshift with the clutch if I'm goin' really slow for that 1-2 shift.

11. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Some interesting reading guys, but I think i'll carry on using my clutch for the road use.

I'm too scared of damaging my gears

12. D41

D41

It shouldn't damage your gears as long as it's done correctly, Justin. But I can defo see why you would be reluctant to risk it.

13. SteveH

SteveH

And thats why I rarely bother. Get it wrong and eventually it's gonna start costing money. 675 is an Expensive machine to learn the technique on really. So unless you either know what your doing, or couldn't care less about the cost implications, or couldn't care less about your bike, really not worth it IMHO.

If you REALLY must do clutchless upshifts and your not up to speed on getting it done correctly just buy a quickshift kit from Triumph and save yourself some pennies in the long run.

Steve

14. jimjam39

jimjam39

tried the clutchless upshift over the last 2 runs that ive done. I must say it is a lot smoother when you're giving it some stick. :)

15. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Yeah i gave it a go and I agree with you jimjam, but for everyday bimbling around I think i'll use my clutch the way it was supposed to be used.

16. D41

D41

Fair enough - I should've wrote "won't" instead of "shouldn't".....there's really nothing to the technique - accelerate, put some pressure on the shifter, quickly drop the revs then reapply & Bingo! the gears shift - really no different from doing it with the clutch...in my book the simpler an exercise is, the better! Guess it's just a matter of preference.

17. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Lots of talk about clutchless upshifts. I've never done one, I didn't know it was possible.

Someone talk me through the process please :?:

18. shut the throttle. knock it up a gear, open throttle....simples.....just dont do it going down gears....ouch :D

19. SteveH

SteveH

Yes up = good if got right. Down = very VERY expensive!

I did it once in my youff, on a field bike OH MY GOD! Wished I hadn't spent the entire summers paper round earnings one a rebuild :S Live and learn eh!

Steve

20. D41

D41

Funny you mention downshifts Steve. I was out the other day & did one without the clutch - Totally by accident, I might add. Was off the throttle, coming down a hill & put my foot on the shifter in anticipation of a down shift & it just smoothly shifted down without any fuss. I must have had the engine at exactly the perfect engine speed relative to the gear speed or sommit. :?
    But yes I totally agree, clutchless downshift - very, very BAD!!