675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

big hello to all!

Discussion in 'General' started by spike, Apr 18, 2009.

1. spike

spike

hi guys
    just though i would drop in and say a quick hello
    well i have finally seen the light and got rid of my r6 for a new trumpet 675 which i pick up next week :D
    omg i feel like i am a kid again waiting for xmas hahaha

2 questions for my esteemed 675 brothers?
    has anyone tried to run there new bikes in like the motoman dude suggests on his website or is it better to go with the long haul slow assed process of bimbling along at low revs

and i have just recently moved down to shropshire, does anyone reccomend any good roads, preferably with a low plod content.

cheers guys and keep up the good work with the forum ;)

2. andysjt

andysjt

hi spike & welcome to 675.cc good bunch on here

regarding run in have a look at 200 -300 to go thred on the main page bit of a debate on it

cheers andy

ps
    keep posting & look out for the meets next one is 9TH may depends on your location as to wether its close to you or not

3. welcome spike, good to have you onboard :)

4. Rowly

Rowly

Hey up Spike, another D675 convert, good on ya!!! As for the running in, stick with
    the manufactures guide lines, you know it makes sense ;)

5. The Fridge

The Fridge

Hi to u both, Spike & Ollie. i'm a new member, hav had my 675 1 month now & dun 1650 miles. my enquires lead me to the conclusion that a fairly carefully run in bike was best. thrashin it from the off wud hav a slightly quicker bike but reliability wud be the issue. the engine wud not last as long b4 problems wud arise. i opted 4 keepin to the guidelines 4 the 1st 300 miles but then addin an xtra 1-2k to the rev limit 4 ea of the next runnin in phases. i did 8oo miles on mine in 3 days then had its 1st service by which time i was takin it up to 11k revs & occ asionally 12. its a pain runnin in thats why i decided to get it over with as quick as poss. gud luk.

6. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Yo Spike! You're just up the A5 from me. My bike got red lined within a few miles of the dealer (Fowlers, Bristol - were cheaper than Wylies) and it doesn't burn oil etc. There are 4 other members on here that I know of within spitting distance of you - me in Shrewsbury, Keith at Tern Hill, Ian at Baschurch, and Andy at Stafford.

Am organising a ride on 9 May from Shrewsbury (meeting at Shrewsbury Services on the south side of town, junction A5 and A49) down the A488 through Knighton to the Cross Gates (on the A44/A483 roundabout) then along the A44 to Leominster (lunch at the OK Diner), up to Ludlow on the back road, across to Bridgo B4364 and the bike cafe at Quatford, back down to Craven Arms B4368 - the Corvedale road, and back up the A49 to Shrewsbury.

On good roads in north Shropshire, you're spoiled for choice, and West Mercia police aren't that bad. Very few fixed cameras. Try the road through Chirk, left onto the A5 for Llangollen, then up the Horseshoe Pass for the Ponderosa (bike cafe). Or another way there from Oswestry is the road through St Martins to Ellesmere, take a left at the roundabout in Ellesmere towards Wrexham A528, into Overton (turn left) and left onto the A539 for Ruabon and Llangollen. Be careful if you go into north Wales, the police are hostile. Or go straight over the roundabout in Ellesmere and stay on the A528 south for Shrewsbury - it's a fabulous road. Or you could take the A483 south towards Welshpool, and take a right over the mountains to Bala. See, there's just so much to choose from around here, I feel sorry for people who live in London....

7. Graham H675

Graham H675

hello and welcome fella nothing quite like a day out on a nice new 675 lol. I must be a bit luck in london then kent is only 15miles from me and some of the roads there are the nuts lol

8. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

hello and welcome! :D hope you find it useful here, and questions don't hesitate to ask! :D

9. spike

spike

thanks for the big welcome guys

well there was certainly food for thought regarding breaking the bikes in, not sure how im going to approach it so will keep you posted ;)
    hey edski you in shrewsbury thats cool :D give me a shout if you and and anyone else wants to go out for a blast now the summers on its way. as for the 9th i think i am working that day (damn shifts) but if not count me in.
    pick up the trumpet tomorrow so cant wait
    :D

10. Hi Spike,

My bike is in for it's first service next week, and if I get any feedback on the way I have run it in I will let you know.

I pretty much stuck to the 5000 limit for the first 300 miles (occassional blip over when I need to!) and now I pretty much don't go above 6000 revs, but I don't worry so much if I do.

If I get to the garage and they tell me I've ballsed it up I will let you know that this isn't a very good way to do it!

Happy running in!
    (it is not that fun and is made worse by the fact that when you do "accidentally" go over 5000/6000 revs it sounds bloody brilliant...and you will want to keep doing it...but then you realise that you may not be doing the best thing by your brand new engine!)

11. Stu

Stu

The dealer told me to take it easy for the first 100 miles then ride it like I stole it. I did this on both. One used a lot of oil up until the 1st service then settled down and the other never used any oil. Both now have over 17,000 miles on and are in great shape engine wise. Break yours in the way that makes you comfortable but don't be afraid to thrash it.

12. spike

spike

well i finally got her this afternoon at long last woooo hooooo :D
    stunning neon blue , and a voice of an angel with larengytis :twisted:
    down side is im on bloody nights tonight so no evening blast damn it :cry:
    loads of admiring stares from people in there cars as i commuted into work

i asked the guy in bill smiths what his feelings were on breaking in the trumpet and he said keep it at half revs 8000 rpm max until its first service and dont let it labour in too high a gear ie when bimbling around town in traffic and there shouldnt be any problems... after that let rip lol he said if you go over not to worry as
    he said the motors are all bench tested anyway

personally i think im going to go with this as a running in template, well until i have scrubbed the tyres in :twisted: lol did open her up just so i could hear her sing lol
    not sure im too keen on these semi slick supercorsas though :? do they heat up quick or they a bit of a chore to keep warm???? any advice is most welcome ;)

found a video on utube about the factory
    bloody hell they dyno them as part of the qc checks :eek: hahahahaha
    extra points if you can understand the scottish dude :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7uddXOlZw

13. The Fridge

The Fridge

hi spike, i'm not too keen also, heat up fairly quick but as u say bit of a chore to keep warm, had a little slide both sides at virtually full lean angle, doesnt inspire me with full confidence! choice and advice from other members and elsewhere gives me 2 alternatives: Bridgestone BT-016's or
    Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's
    think i'm goin 4 the latter. gud luk with ur choice.
    good video, get to c sum of the Factory. want to go in person tho.

14. Edski675

Shame you're on nights, I have a few hours free to play tomorrow morning.

15. spike

spike

hey edski
    will be around oswestry way about 8.00 am and can play out for a couple of hours if your up for it
    will have to bail out about 11.00 though for some shut eye as im on nights tomorow too .
    give me a ring on 07757864835 if you can make it, if not this week im free for a ride out mon, tue or wed this week if any one is off work and bored on these days.

16. Edski675

Had in mind more 10am ish!!! Never mind. Midweek - do you mean daytime or evenings?

17. spike

spike

either really edski,
    im not back in work till thursday :D after tonights night shift so really its weather dependant.
    if its cracking the flags i will be out regardless lol