675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Bike starts but runs weird, help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Jack Daniel, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

Ok so..I went to take my bike for an MOT today and turn out its broken itself..

It will start up fine (new battery in today) but it was sat on idle at 2000rpm, when i gave it a ting bit of throttle it cut out completely, I've tried several times , leaving it to see if it changes when its warm but nothing, randomly it started and idled normally and I could rev it, but if I rev it over say 3000rpm it cuts out, you can ride it but under very light throttle, so little that you have to mostly go off the clutch...

I have changed the MAP sensor as i happened to have a spare, the air lines on the throttle bodies had been bodged to fit a scott oiler, also replaced those with a spare set I had but the problem has not changed.

The speedo is also being weird as it says its in 3rd gear all the time, sometimes it will have a neutral light on but as soon as you put it into her it says it is in 3rd, also when I turn it on it will say its in 3rd and won't let me start it as the stand is down (stand cut off switch) but just letting you know it fully thinks its in third and not just a broken light, as I rev the bike it reads 3rd and then goes to 4th and as the revs come back down its goes from 4th to 3rd.

I also managed to rev it without it cutting out a couple times to about 10,000rpm but it sounded rough and didn't like it.

I have a video but it won't let me post it here so if you really want to help I can send on email or WhatsApp.

Any help would be very welcome, thank you in advance!

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

That's a bit of a strange one.:-??
    Is it possible that (whilst you were under the tank sorting the throttle lines) you trapped the vent tube that supplies the fuel tank.?
    Have you had Tune ECU on to see if there are any problems flagged up.?
    Good luck, and keep us posted please mate.

3. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

Can't see anything that is pinched, only things I have coming from the tank are the plugs and fuel line. Ive swapped the map sensor and started it up but same problem, thinking it could be gear position sensor? I have tuneECU but no cable so I may have to take it to triumph today

4. scaramanga

scaramanga

can get a cable of eBay for a tenner
    or a blue tooth adapter

5. cpszx

cpszx

sounds like it could be throttle position sensor

6. Sound like it could be a few things, TPS as said, idle control valve, even a temp sensor failing leads to high idle speed :/

I had the near same issues few years back

Started fine, ran for 20 minutes perfectly then wouldn’t settle below 2000 idle then the temp bars started going down on the clocks.

After a few minutes turned off it was fine then started happening again.

7. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

Took it to triumph and it's given a 1698 fault code, the gear indicator problem was plugs around the wrong way

8. Dom16v

Dom16v

What is that fault code then?

9. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

10. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

Something to do with 5v malfunction or something

11. Dom16v

Dom16v

Hmm, electrics baffles me

12. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

So I've sorted the problem, had a wire sticking out on the ECU plug loom and it was touching the tank, taped it up, replaced map sensor and all done, the wire was the wire for map sensor

• Like Like x 1
  13. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Pleased to hear you've sorted it. 8-))

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

So the problem is back again and I want to set the bike on fire