675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Boiling over after lowside

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Richard8, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Richard8

Richard8

Hi. I had a lowside off at Snetterton last week. Lost about 1 litre of oil when bike on side.
    When home I:-
    Dropped the oil
    Cleaned out airbox (small amount of oil in there - thimbleful or two.
    New oil.
    Ran bike up until fan kicked in.

Oil drip from breather hose - small but then coolant also started to appear. The oil is probably left over since the crash or I may have overfilled the bike on oil change.

The coolant is more difficult to explain. The bike has always been run with coolant on the bottom line of standard coolant tank when cold. Since the crash this is now over the top line??
    Bike running samco hoses and standard fan which kicks in as necessary. Air lock somewhere? The rad got a small dent on the right hand side frame but not punctured.
    What do I do? I’m guessing drop coolant and refill but looking for confirmation. No leaks from hoses or anywhere else. Just out breather (same breather oil is coming from which I hope isn’t an issue).
    Help!

2. GazST

GazST

Oil from the air box breather is normal after an off. But there should not be any oil coming out of the ones underneath the bike, one is a vent for the fuel tank and the other is the overflow for the coolant.

Personally I would drain and inspect the coolant first.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using 675.cc mobile app

3. Richard8

Richard8

image.jpg Thanks. It’s coming out of the one in the picture. Rad cap showing oil in coolant, getting worried now. What do you think? image.jpg

4. GazST

GazST

There is really only 2 ways of getting oil in the coolant, one is the head gasket and the other being the oil cooler.

Is it a track bike and do you use coolant or just water?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using 675.cc mobile app

5. Richard8

Richard8

I’m pretty sure it’s a head gasket failure now. The telltail pipe from base of sump is dry which my bloke says means almost certainly head gasket.
    Track bike on coolant. Very hot day and spanking it down Bentley straight. Crashed at Nelson.

6. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I didn't post earlier, because I suspected engine damage was allowing oil/coolant contact. I had hoped you'd discover a simpler issue to be resolved.
    May possibly not actually be the gasket.: The impact may have fractured a major casting, the ensuing leakage from oil to coolant will have the same symptom.
    Hope I'm wrong..:((

7. Richard8

Richard8

Oh god. I hope you are wrong too.