675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

BROKEN SEAT LOCK - AND NO BATTERY!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by richie675, Dec 13, 2009.

1. richie675

richie675

Hi guys

Took out my battery to charge it yesterday but must have unintentionally disconnected the seat lock cable from the locking mechanism. Result = bike with no battery and no way to get in to the seat unit to fit the charged battery! bugger!

I'm absolutely stumped as to how to 'break in' to my own machine - it seems impenetrable! if anyone has any thoughts please let me know!

thanks
    richie675

2. andysjt

andysjt

I sympathise , i did the same last year ,what has happened is the cable end has popped out of its housing therefore it can’t operate the lock , I had to just prise the thing off from the lock side it did eventually come off and didn’t do any damage to the locking system , but I may have just been lucky ,I would see if anyone else on here has a better idea , or phone triumph , trouble is they have a habit of saying "ya pop it over we will have a look " not easy in you predicament

I’m now in the habit of making sure the cable is in its place before I put the seat on and also have fitted an optimate cable to the battery so you don’t have to take the seat off to charge the battery ( it just tucks under the tank when not in use )
    Hope you get sorted mate

3. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I only have one word to say:

"DOH!"

4. spike

spike

did the same thing a couple of months ago popped the cable out of the holder and couldnt release my seat
    had to get a mate to prise up the seat at the side inline with the catch and used a long screwdriver to push the catch mechanism open its quite easy but a bit fiddly and it takes two people
    hope it helps :)

5. henrymc

henrymc

Same as that. was not a happy chap :doh: :doh:

6. RICH675

RICH675

remove the rear seat or cowl and you have access to the catch with a screwdriver. no damage at all.