675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Buzzer on the chat section

Discussion in 'Comments, Suggestions & Site Questions' started by henrymc, Oct 19, 2009.

1. henrymc

henrymc

Was thinking (dangerous for me i know) what about the idea of a buzzer on the chat side ,
    so if there were someone on the forum you wanted to chat to but they did not know you were on line you could get their attention,
    or is it there allready and i have not found it :?:

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I think I know what you mean ;p So some way of alerting another member you're on the chat system when they are not. There's no specific way of making that possible, though I have been looking into other chat systems that stay with the site and don't require a new window to be opened, possibly like a clone of the facebook chat with a bar along the bottom of the screen and can be set to automatically log in when you visit the site or not. The main thing I'm trying to do with it, is not to impose it so much on members that don't want the chat feature as it could become more of an annoyance than a feature ;P

On the other side of the coin I can always display the members online at the bottom of the forum index list as a statistic to save people having to open the window to see who's online...

3. ermmm chat room Ive not found that yet lol

4. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Just looking for opinions at the moment on the chat system. I'm keen on making it more flexible for users to communicate between other members, as mentioned as before - I can implement a facebook style chat system to the site. The bar will always be visible at the bottom of the screen and obviously you can set yourself to become offline. It prevents a new window needing to be opened and makes it a lot more simple when people are on or offline.

Below is a screenshot of what it could look like (with the chat room function open), basically I'm wanting to know whether this will be useful and a welcomed addition or end up being an annoyance with a grey bar at the bottom of every window on this site? :) (oh btw obviously the colour scheme would be matching on the final version).

Attached Files:

5. kingfixer

kingfixer

Looks fine to me Craig!! :D

6. D41

D41

I must say, I really like the idea of a chat section, but most of the time I'm on here I'm the only one ( I guess I could talk to myself, but TBH I wouldn't know what to say!) - but it does seem like there's quite a few new active members, which is very cool!! - Would it perhaps be a good idea to set up a certain time for the chat section?? - kind of a 'virtual bike night'??? - just an idea (probably a bad one).

7. henrymc

henrymc

sounds good to me Craig, thats the sort of thing i ment, anyone not wanting to chat could always just log on hidden if they wanted,