675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Cam chain tensioner issue

Discussion in 'General' started by towser, Mar 20, 2009.

1. towser

towser

Has anyone on here had the problem of cam chain rattle when the tensioner fails. Prob not easy to explain but what does it sound like? I've had a major problem with my bike having an oil leak for which its been back to the dealers 4 times. Out today for first ride since getting it back and it develops this pretty horrible sounding mechanical rattle noise. So after an expensive trip on a transporter its back at the dealers again. They weren't committing themselves but suggested it may be cam chain tensioner. Bikes only a year old having done just over 2000 miles.

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Is the bike still in the warranty period? I've heard problems of oil leaks happening on the earlier breeds; but not heard anything about the tensioner failing so early. Annoying when things like this happens; there seems to be a good knowledge base between the members here so hopefully someone will be able to shed more light on the issue decribed :)

3. towser

towser

Yeah its still under warranty so theres no problem getting it fixed it's just the hassle of the whole thing , not to mention the cost of getting it transported to the dealers. They said they would look at it today so we will wait and see.

4. Graham H675

Graham H675

dealer should pay for recovery too due to brake down

5. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Did you not get Triumph RAC Cover with the bike when you bought it...... recovery anywhere in Europ back to home or your locaal garage. ;)

6. towser

towser

Yes got cover with bike but its only for the 1st year so it expired on 1st of March! I did renew it myself but only at the basic level and if I had read the small print when I did this I wouldn't have gone for the base level as it only covers the transport of your bike to a nearby garage or only 10 miles which is utterly useless. Lesson learned and have upgraded cover to the next level which will take bike anywhere I want. Graham i am going to ask the dealer about this but think I know what they will say.

7. Graham H675

Graham H675

wife works in mercedes warrenty department and she said as long as the bike broke down or if ridden could of caused damage to the bike then they should pay for it if they say your not covered might be worth dropping a line to triumph HQ

8. I got the full RAC cover using my Tesco clubcard tokens. If you do it under Clubcard Deals, each point is worth 4 times it's normal value. I know it doesn't help you now but maybe for anyone else or in the future.

9. towser

towser

Thanks for the replys guys. OnlyOneWayHome- Thanks for the heads up I have since upgraded my cover but will remember the Tesco thing for the future. For anyone elses benefit if you do come to renew your RAC cover then DON'T go for the basic roadside cover as it is useless!

10. towser

towser

Well just spoke to the dealers this morning and its not the cam chain tensioner. After just over 2000 miles the center big end bearing has failed! Awaiting a response from Triumph.

11. Rowly

Rowly

I have read somewhere that the center crank bearings have a weakness,
    but never at this few miles,I think they should bang you a new engine in
    rather than rebuilding your own, not the ideal time to have a major eng
    problem, hope they can sort it soon, keep us all posted ;)

12. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Not good news at all - keep us posted; certainly triumph should resolve this especially with such little miles on the clock... hang in there! :roll: :)

13. towser

towser

Well think we have a result. Getting a new bike ,albeit last years model , for the princely sum of £200! I was needing a new back tyre anyway so £200 for a new bike seems fair to me.

14. Rowly

Rowly

Sounds like a good deal to me, did you get the same color? or did you have to get
    what was available, Anyway what ever you got I bet you're chuffed to fcuk
    Well done Towser ;) ;)

15. towser

towser

No got same colour thankfully because I've got a union jack fairing on it! I'm just pleased that I shouldn't have to worry about any engine issues. It does however mean that I've now got to run it in and as a result will miss a trackday I have booked in 2 weeks!

16. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Nice one Towser.............. get the pictures posted. :cool: