675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Can’t get my plunger in!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by John Hardiman, Aug 11, 2020.

1. John Hardiman

John Hardiman

Hello, I’m fitting some aftermarket levers on my D675R 2016, Evotech Performance. Can anyone offer tips for how you get the plunger back into the gasket/dust cover on the master cylinder?

The dust cover really distorts when you attempt to push the plunger back in. It like be easier to refit if I took the dust cover off the master cylinder but I’m not sure you should do this!

Many thanks

John IMG_0010.JPG

2. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I've had to change the brake lever on my (older variant D675) loads of times, & even my master cylinder too, and don't recall ever having this issue.
    How about also sending an email to Evotech.? -Their customer service is usually excellent, and this does relate to their product.

3. John Hardiman

John Hardiman

Thank you.
    The master cylinder is different on the standard 675, which is a Nissin, I believe the plunger stays attached to the cylinder. The Brembo on the R has a plunger which is pulled out when you remove the lever.
    I’ll ask Evotech, thanks for the suggestion.

4. StMarks

StMarks PTG

Fwiw I realised that yours wasn't the std Nissin, which is why I was sure to make it clear that what limited experience I had was based on a different version to the one in your image.
    Good luck resolving it, & I'll be interested to know what you discover mate.

5. John Hardiman

John Hardiman

Apologies if I seemed like I doubted your knowledge. I’ll be sure to respond with what I find out.
    Thanks

6. Tiny bit of lube and a very small screwdriver or something similar to run around the rubber to get it to seat on the plunger.
    It's a bit of a faff but I've managed it before.

7. John Hardiman

John Hardiman

I sorted this in the end.
    I found a pair of tweezers did the trick.
    Position them over the outside of the rubber dust cap and squeeze it enough to hold the hole still.
    offer the plunger up to the rub and by pushing them together, using the tweezers to ease the hole over the plunger, it worked quite easily and quickly.
    Many thanks everyone

IMG_1006.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. John Hardiman

John Hardiman

I sorted this in the end.
    I found a pair of tweezers did the trick.
    Position them over the outside of the rubber dust cap and squeeze it enough to hold the hole still.
    offer the plunger up to the rub and by pushing them together, using the tweezers to ease the hole over the plunger, it worked quite easily and quickly.
    Many thanks everyone