675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

chain lube

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by jules 0474, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jules 0474

jules 0474

Using silkolene chain lube at the moment but seems to fling off the chain very easy cover swing arm ect very quickly, just what to know what other people are using on there chains? When the bikes come out the factory the chains seem to have a wax like lub on then any ideas what this is, and where it can be brought. also whats the best way of removing chain fling off of swing arms ect, as using wd40 at the momemt and wondered if this is a bit harsh and would damage paint work if used over a long period of time.

2. brake cleaner(not brake fluid!!) is very effective at cleaning off chain lube and easily available as for chain lube i use castrol chain wax which i think is pretty good.

3. D41

D41

I use "1Z Ulta-Gel Spray Grease" - very happy with it, works very well in SoCal's dry & somewhat dusty climate. It's a "Made in Germany since 1936 blah-blah!" product, so I assume it also works in wetter climates.

4. Penfold

Penfold

Hi mate had the same problem, i use autoglym degreaser but not on chain and clean chain with wd40. Chain looks like new. Use wurth high performance dry lube when cain is warm every week.

5. dry lube for me too ;)

6. Davetona

Davetona Moderator Staff Member

7. henrymc

henrymc

Dito :salute:
    Parrafin for cleaning the chain,
    not sure on the WD40 :?:

8. i use muc off degreaser and castrol chain wax,halfords sell both. wd40 gotta be rinsed off afterwards otherwise it will cause probs

9. Rowly

Rowly

Yup, kerosene for me brings the chain up like new and does NOT damage O ring chains
    Recommended by most motorcycle manufacturers since the invention of the chain.
    As for lubrication I use Castrol race lube.

10. redseven

redseven

Confused!?? Why would anyone want a "clean looking" chain? To me that means it hasn't been lubricated. Got to watch the 0 rings perishing so I wouldn't clean it with any thing, apart from extra oil or silkolene, which, yes ends up on your seat unit. So clean the rest of the bike. Can't say I would risk any kind of de-greaser on the chain or rear sprocket. Usually it ends up running around the spindles and drying the bearings out. A slimy chain and dirty sprocket is a healthy bike

11. D41

D41

WD40 is what EVERYONE uses in the States for cleaning the chain (well, everyone who rides a bike, at least)- on a cloth, though, not sprayed directly onto the chain itself, this is to protect the O-rings.

BTW - Who still uses O-ring chains??? LOL

12. Rowly

Rowly

Defo no confusion redseven, clean chain, clean sprocket,= healthy bike= happy rider :smileup:

13. Rowly

Rowly

The build up of oil, grease ,grit road dust and any other shit you pick up on your
    chain accelerates chain wear and more common chain stretch. A chain that is
    maintained and cleaned on regular basis will last a considerably longer than
    the one that isn't, fact! Kerosene is the only recommended cleaner against any
    commercial alcohol based cleaners by most major motorcycle manufacturers
    Fact. and it will save you money why? because the average 300ml tin of alcohol
    based spray will set you back between £4.99 to £6.99, a 2.5ltr carton of kerosene
    will set you back £5 and last you ten times longer. still happy with your chain cleaner?
    If you have any doubt what to use to clean & lube your chain check your handbook
    these people know what they are talking about. :up:

14. henrymc

henrymc

I think you got it covered there Rowly,
    saw a article in one of the bike mags the other week where they said to up the preformance of your bike you should clean your chain of all crap and old lube , plus the bike looks better with a clean chain, :salute:

15. Rowly

Rowly

Sorry I made a mistake with the size of the kerosene? its actually 4 litres
    and not 2.5 litres as I said in previous post so that means it would last
    you up to 20 times longer, good times!!

16. redseven

redseven

I agree to wiping off any crud on the chain with a dry rag only. I still dissagree with using a degreasing agent, just down to 20 years worth of riding. Would sooner have a clean gear change and keep power to the optimum at the rear wheel with a well oiled chain. Wether It is the latest trendy chain lube or just decent oil. However the white sticky stuff ( no comments please) on the chain from standard has now ended up over the back wheel. Therefore I will be cleaning the rear wheel soon and not the chain or sprocket. Sorry chaps but I'm more interested in a maintained bike than just looks.
    No dissrespects to comments above, Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

17. D41

D41

LOL - I recently changed my chain, thinking that the white sticky stuff was chain-lube - it went EVERYWHERE!! er, including working its way onto the rear tyre's left-side chicken strip!!! - Lesson learned, fortunately not the hard way.