675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

chain lube

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by triple n, Nov 8, 2009.

1. triple n

triple n

good day lads and lasses...was just wondering what the a good lube is for my chain....as the bike is going to be laid up while the weather is crappy, and scott oilers dont work when the bike aint moving, i dont want the chain going rusty...im not worried about it flinging off or anything, just need something cheap that'll last a little while...your suggestions or comments are appreciated, even the sarcastic ones :D thanks all

2. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I've just fitted a Scottie because I liked yours and cos I'm fed up with fling. I use Motul chain lube, but pretty well anything would do I guess if all you need is something to stop the chain rusting.

3. D41

D41

- Oh, Goodie!!!

Like Ed said - pretty much anything will work while the bike is laid up. I would clean all the crap off it 1st with WD40 on a cloth - WD40 itself is a pretty decent rust-inhibitor. Then simply coat the chain in any decent chain grease (I use 1Z) & it should be fine...no doubt you'll be in the garage during the off-season tinkering with the bike, cleaning things etc. - plenty of chances to monitor the condition of the chain, battery etc. + If you don't have the bike up on stands whilst it's not in use, move the bike every month or so to help avoid creating 'dead spots' on the tyres. :)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another trick if you don’t have paddock stands is to place short planks of wood under the tyres to eliminate the rubber/concrete contact.

I use WD40 stuff followed by chain gel lube (honest, its for chains)

5. When i got a new carpet for my bedroom guess where the old one went for that reason lol.

6. triple n

triple n

thanks for the replies guys, i'll get some cheapy stuff for it...im gonna put it on my abba stand and choc the front end up...by the way, its kept outside so a roll of wilton under it wont be much good...could try flotex i spose :lol:

7. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Ya keep it outside in Plymouth??? You mad???

8. triple n

triple n

what are you trying to say ED :D

9. kingfixer

kingfixer

You got a cover for it Nige??

10. andysjt

andysjt

Nige ,
    get a cheep garden shed mate , or even make one its not a garage but its better than nowt .

11. henrymc

henrymc

Or make a box out of six sheets of 18mm stirling board and some 2"x2" put the bike in to it, Then tack some mineral felt on to it with clout nalis, Hey presto. cheep and cheerful,
    If you screw it together you can dismantle it and save it for the next winter.

12. kingfixer

kingfixer

you could make one Henry while your doing nothing ;)

13. henrymc

henrymc

That's true Mick,
    I have the Stirling board and some CLS also would be a doodle.
    if only I was closer to Nige I would do it no problem.
    I have been here for a month now and still no word on what is going on, rang the office Tuesday looking to find out what was going on.
    The contracts manager said he would get back to me, have heard nothing since, wierd, but I am getting a full days pay every day for being here, just do not like sitting about, someone has money :!: :erm:

14. kingfixer

kingfixer

You must be bored shitless mate!!

15. henrymc

henrymc

16. triple n

triple n

yes mick, got a cover but could do with a new one...gonna have to go down milbay road and sell me bits :lol:

17. D41

D41

What do you do when you ARE working, henry??

18. henrymc

henrymc

Shopfitting foreman, my old mucker, have worked on everything from nightclubs, pubs, shops, car showrooms, lately its been mostly high street shops, putting up system that any idiot can do, but needs must,