675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Chain maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by SV_Justin, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Despite the gorgeous weather as of late, my bike is spending a lot of the time parked up in the garage as i'm away from home. When I come back at the weekend to ride her, my chain keeps rusting. I have always cleaned my chain every month or 500 miles and re-lube it with a heavy weight mineral oil which normally does the job quite nicely, and have done it for years. However when I leave her still for a week or two at a time, it keeps rusting over which is really annoying. What does everyone use on their chains, and does anyone have an tips to keep their chain in tip top condition?

2. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I clean my Chain every week - jet wash it after cleaning it with chain cleaner then re greese with ptfe Chain loobe.

The only other thing to do is get a scot oiler fitted but I have not got that sorted yet as the vacume tube puts me off.... :?

3. Stu

Stu

I wipe my chain with a cloth and WD40 then coat with ceramic chain wax.

Jap, I've heard there is a new scotoiler that doesn't need vacuum tubing thingy me bobbing.

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Best I get and have a look then as the one i saw was far o complicated LOL :geek: :D

5. I had a scotoiler on the Gixxer and it was brilliant, the chain rarely needed degreasing as it was always in a perfect state. That said, I did always have oil on the left side of the wheel to clean off!

Where would the scotoiler oil resovoir go on the 675?

6. the reservoir on mine is on the tube to the left side under the seat, if you get what i mean...can supply a piccy if anyone requires one

7. [​IMG]...

heres a piccy..i think..hope it helps

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Nice one Nigl. Did you fit it ourself or did you have it fitted at a dealer?

9. it was fitted to the bike when i bought it,,,i did fit one to my 955 though and it werent that difficult as you can download instructions from the scott oiler website for a specific bike...its only a matter of lifting the tank, splicing a T peice into the vacuum tube on the throttle bodies and putting the tank back on...siting the reservoir and routing the the lube tube is a peice of cake...would recommend a double injector though, lubes both sides of the chain

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Seen the double one Nigel so know what you mean - its just the splicing i'm not to happy about :?

11. Thanks, though, I'd be worried about lifting the tank and splicing. If the dealer does it, then at least the work is covered if it all goes tits up!

12. IF your here in the States try, ''Dupont, Teflon Multi-Use dry, Wax Lubricant'. Sold at Lowe's home Improvement stores.
    Google it! $5.00 a can.
    LINK>>http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

13. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Cheers chaps. I took her with me to Wales this week and shes had a good few hundred miles to flex up. I'm not sure I can be bothered with a scotoiler at the mo. I really dont have enough time to fiddle around trying to fit it. A friend has recomended Wurth Dry Chain Lube. Never tried it before but i'll give it a go. i'll report back with my findings!

14. [​IMG]hi guys, i have just removed the scott oiler from the bike as im putting it on the new one, thought some of you may be interested to see where it connects to the engine...no splicing involved, simple vacuum connection to the right side of the throttle bodies...you dont evevn need to remove the tank, just lift it to one side...peice of cake, seat off and 3 bolts, 5 minute job...picture shows the connection point, its the red thing under the loom plug...now...how do i get a picture up here?

15. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

;) Nice on nigel may even get one bought and fitted before the trip ;) :lol: