675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

CHAIN MAINTENANCE

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by jofitz, Mar 28, 2009.

1. jofitz

jofitz

i HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 2006 DAYTONA 675 AFTER RIDING HARLEY DVIDSON FOR 18 YEARS. ITS ALL SOOOOO! DIFFERENT EVERYTHING IS LIGHTS AND FLASHING!!. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY TIPS ON MAINTAINING THE CHAIN AND WHAT OIL ETC TO USE AS MY HARLEYS WERE ALL BELT DRIVEN. WOULD APPRECIATE ANY TIPS

JO FITZ ISLE OF MAN

2. a scott oiler is the easiesr option...glad you could join us mate

3. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Hi Jofitz - great to have you on board.

Best get som Sylicon Chain Loob Spray till you get the scot oiler. Also grab sum Muckoff Chain Cleaner just to keep on top of things ;)

4. Stu

Stu

Wot e said :)

That's a massive change in bike. How are you finding it now you can corner :D

5. jofitz

jofitz

thanks for the tips i shall go and get the neccessary things now as it is such a nice day over here in IOM
    just the job for a lap of the course thanks again

6. Stu

Stu

I've just noticed you're in the IOM. Is it good owning a bike over there or is it a pain with all the tourist bikers looking for thrills. Also, do the routes get boring as there can't be many or is life one big riding party. :?: :D

7. I went out on my bike last night and could her a slight metalic tinkling noice (not loud enough to be a rattle but hopfully you know what I mean) when I accelerated. It didn't do it while stationary or when the engine wasn't under any load.

I'll be honest, chain maintenance is probably not my strongest disaplines and was wondering could it be that the chain needs a good clean and grease?

8. Stu

Stu

I have a duff chain on a the moment and it's the same as what you describe apart from I can feel it through the left footpeg not hear it. I have a new chain ready to fit but I'll wait until I have Jean's rectifier sorted.

9. Thanks, that reduces a worry, I'm going to give it a good clean and lube this afternoon. As I dont have a paddock stand, it will be a painfull job!

10. Stu

Stu

When it needs changing you are welcome to come over. I have a bike lift and chain tool! Don't believe the manual either. It says the chain is 106 links where as it's 116. Be warned.

11. Graham H675

Graham H675

sounds like a similar fault i got too can u really notice it a 5-6000 rpm???

12. I've bought a paddock stand and some degreaser and decent chain lube today, so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Thanks for the offer Stu, I'll take you up on it but as the the bike has only done about 2500 miles, it should be good for a while. How long do chains last normally?

13. Graham H675,

It seems to start from around 3-4k rpm and once I get to above so many rpm, I cant hear it due to the engine and wind noise.

14. Graham H675

Graham H675

onlyonewayhome read good info post might be worth a look

15. Fast Orange

Fast Orange

SDOC Chain Cleaning Gel followed by the use of Profi Dry Lube ............... no mess, no fling ............ its chain heaven ...............!

16. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Sounds good to me or go for the Chain Lube kit which costs £90 plus fitting........ long term investent may be worth it :? ;) :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: