675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

checked my oil 2day!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by 675 hooligan, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

i bought my MASTERBIKE in march (haha) and it got serviced when i got it so i never checked my oil until 2day,the level was on the minimum mark on the dipstick,oops!! lesson learnt me thinks.
    ive heard from a few ppl that 675's use a fair bit of oil but u always say 2 yersel ah it'l be fine haha im just happy the bikes ok cuz i drive it hard everyday,poor baby,lol

and what oil do u guys use?? i stuck in fully senthetic 10w40 cuz thats all i had,cheers

2. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Hooligan you MUST check the oil every week. Mine burns hardly any, but I know of another that drinks it.

Yep I use fully synth 10-40. I think that's what's recommended in the manual :D

So what number Masterbike you got then? Mine's no 87.

3. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

i have no.18 bud,i love it 2bits i feel so special when im out on it,were a cut above the rest are we :mrgreen: and as for the oil ill be checking it every week from now

4. how miles did the bike have on it ? and how many have you put on?

Im with Ed though every week dude!!

I thought i had a oil usage issue but talking too the mechanics at my dealer they said the bike uses a hell of alot of oil early in the engine life this is also backed up with forum posts mine started to settle down after about 2.5k hardly use a drop now!

5. I have just gone over 2k miles on mine and it doesn't seem to have used much oil at all.....I bought a top up can from the dealer just in case, but never needed to use it......maybe there is something wrong with me technique!

Because I don't have a stand for it....I just sit on it keeping it upright and waiti for the oil to drain down.....I thne pull the dip stick after about 10 mins.....

I hope this is sufficient....but I assume that even if I put it on it's side stand and check the oil....if it is above the minimum then it should be fine as the dip stick will be at the highest point of the base of the engine (I think that makes sense!)

I hope the oil warning light works properly anyway as this is my back up....even tho I do check regularly.....

Any tips on checking oil for someone without a stand?

6. redtrumpet

redtrumpet

Same with me - I noticed mine used quite a bit for the first 2.5k but now it hardly uses a drop

7. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

i bought my bike with 5500 miles on it in march and its just shy of 8k now im just going to keep checkin every weekend n see how it gets on,my oil light never came on so maybe i just caught it in time,i know this is off topic but my chain was in a quite a mess so i gave it a clean and my uncle suggested old engine oil and a brush i gave it a try and gave the bike a gd run and my chain is like brand new,i normally use chain lube but its more like wax and it gets sprayed all over the plastics and its impossible to get off,any1 use this method? lol

8. Edski675

NEVER rely on the pressure light as a warning for low oil. You'll be very low by the time the light comes on.

I have a paddock stand but it tips the bike forward a bit. So I get a mate to help - he holds the bike steady.

On lube - I use wax and yep it makes a right mess - but only if you use too much. I clean it off (when I can be arsed) with paraffin (find it in Focus/B&Q by the garden heaters), it's very cheap and cos it's a solvent you can reuse it several times. I pour a bit in a jamjar and use an old SOFT toothbrush or a rag. But it's a PIA to do. I read some place that the waxy muck makes a grinding paste but I can't say that I've noticed any chain or sprocket wear. Much more important to keep it lubed and at the correct tightness, IMO.

9. redtrumpet

redtrumpet

Edski675 wrote... "I have a paddock stand but it tips the bike forward a bit. So I get a mate to help - he holds the bike steady."

I have found that there is very little difference between having the bike on my paddock stand and having someone hold it when checking the oil. I guess it would depend on the paddock stand, but it's worth doing an experiment to see what difference, if any, exists using this technique.

10. SteveH

SteveH

Ditto that. My paddock stand makes minimal to no difference on the dipstick :) Out of curiosity what oil is everyone using in their bike??

Steve

11. Edski675

Oh - will try it on the stand then :D TVM for the tip :D

Motul 10-40 fully synth. I like the bright green colour :lol:

12. hmm not sure what mine is got it from the dealers but its purple lol

I sit on the bike to check the oil level

13. D41

D41

I use Mobil-1 4T....not because Triumph recommends it, but because it's the only mc oil that my local autoparts store carries.....any 'name brand' oil should work well IMO.

14. My bike has hardly ever used any oil but when I came back from France, it was just below the min (I had ensured it was full before I left. Surely a full sump full of oil should not be used in 1222 miles!!!????

15. henrymc

henrymc

My bike used quite a bit at first, got it June 06, have done over eight tho miles and it is not used much since six tho service. The mechanics in my local Triumph dealership say that some Yam r1's can use a lot of oil. I use Mobil 1 Racing T4 oil. 675's have a small sump and its no bad thing for a engine to use a bit of oil. You just got to check the oil level every week. my girlfriend's bike is my old cbr 600fx and it uses no oil at all but cbr's have no soul,

16. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

just checked my oil again 2nite and its bak on the minimum again! i rly must learn to take it easy between monday-friday haha need a top up kit asap but im skint,and i use the bike everyday for my work,not good!!

17. Edski675

Blimey you have a thirsty bike. On min won't do it short term harm but you don't want to let it go any lower.

Are you sure you haven't got a leak?

18. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

yeh ive checked for leaks etc and everythings fine,doesnt smoke either so think its just a thirsty cunt haha hopefully it'l settle down a bit but its did oer 8.5k now so i think im dreaming lol