675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Clarkson on a moped!

Discussion in 'General' started by SV_Justin, Feb 1, 2009.

1. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

[​IMG]

When Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson was recently photographed riding near his Oxfordshire home on a Vespa, it caused a minor uproar. That's because Clarkson has long had a rather derisive attitude toward two-wheeled conveyances. Seeing Clarkson on a scooter caused some observers to accuse him of hypocrisy. It turns out the reason that Jezza was on a two wheeler had to do with the current situation with fuel prices and the move by many drivers to down size. Being a "responsible" motoring journalist, Clarkson felt it was his duty to investigate the ramifications of the two wheel switch.

So, off he went to take the test that would allow him to legally ride on a scooter followed by a proper on-road evaluation of the Vespa. Clarkson goes on to describe the vagaries of shifting, steering and braking on a two wheel vehicle. It turns out that by Clarkson's calculations, riding a scooter is not inexpensive even though a Vespa only costs £3,499. By the time you add in the requisite leather, helmet, coffin, headstone, cremation, flowers, etc, it gets pretty pricey. It seems the bottom line is that no matter what you do, "you will be killed." Maybe we should just walk.

Source: The Times

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

2. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I espeically love the goggles and gloves!

3. Whether he like bikes or not, he's still very funny!

4. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

lol, when I was reading the article I was thinking due to the Vietnam trip so disappointed it was for a review on the Vespa. I think he'll always have stubborn views on bikes and porsche, though would like to see him try a bike like the 675 :)

5. Maybe this forum should challenge him!!!

6. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

It would make my day, really would! now where to start on the challenge theory... petition? mass emails to top gear? stalking?... eh maybe not the last.. ;P

7. mike675se

mike675se

I wonder what suspension settings he would need? He's a 'fuller' figure

8. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:eek: :eek: :eek: Been there done that :? :? :?

Son Loved it...............well comfortable. Great for getting in and out of Manchester..............especially when there was a match on :cool: :cool: :cool:

ai390.photobucket.com_albums_oo341_Jap_Sti_3_2008_JeanniesPictures036.jpg

9. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

10. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Used it to get me back on two wheels after I witnessed a bike accident and was shaken up. But it did the job and I loved every minute of it.

11. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Had your knee down on it? lol

12. On one of his older series (something like motorworld) Jezza rode a Ducati (think it coulda been a 916 but i'll need to check) in Italy,
    he also wrote about it in a book. Can't remember exactly what he said about it, so i'll need to do a bit of research into it, but i'm sure it was something along the lines of, it was far too fast for anyone and could never need to be that fast... etc. etc.
    lol.