675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

CLEANING

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by OnlyOneWayHome, Dec 2, 2008.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi All,

I've had my bike out and obviously at this time of year the roads are coated with 675 eating salt.

I've bought some "Muc-Off Motorbike Cleaner" and some "Muc-Off PTFE Motorcycle Protectant".

The Protectant says just spray on basically everything and wipe off excess liquid but the 675 manual says that you shouldn't put anything with silicone in it on the exhaust.

My questions are.....

Does this mean just spray it and leave it or should I still polish it off?

Should I be using something on the exhaust and if so, what would be best?

Thanks

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I see the theory of the protectant but like you I think I would be weary of just leaving a chemical on the bike. I don't really think there is really any real cure to stopping bugs/tar/mud/other from hitting the bike on a good ride apart from washing it after each ride.

None of the previous motorbike's I've owned I never really used anything for the exhaust apart from a wash and wipe down as standard. Not sure if anyone here does it differently though be interesting to find out.

If you ever get the chance to get some JET-A1 fuel it's fantastic at removing grease and grime from the chain so I hear. Unfortunately it's not easy to get hold off due to UK laws etc... doh! :p

3. I agree with the cleaning ethos. I'm sure some of the prducts you can buy do help but it's largely irrelevant if you wash the bike down after each ride. I've ridden the R6 practically everyday over the last couple of months and washed her at least 3 times a week - no corrosion and no cost of having to buy protective spray :)

4. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I ride to work 90% of time and wash the Beast at least once a week, the main ting I check is that the salt is off the engin block, the chain gets de greesed and re lubbed at least once a week.

When I have a full day out it gets a blast the following day without fail just keep on top of things. I use Muk-off all over after wettingthe bike then jet wash off then waz wash with sponge and re jet wash.

Bit of polish on the paint work and thats it. Jobs agood 'n'

5. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

I made a mistake of leaving my bike over a month before cleaning. Ive been away on holiday and there has been a lot of snow so the bike hadn't had much attention. When I dug her out the garage, she didnt look happy. It was worse on closer inspection. The salt from 6 weeks of laughing at me had starting eating away at my chain and any exposed metal.
    So a good thourough rinse with the hose, talk all the fairings off, took the back wheel off and chain. gave everything a good scrub with wash n wax, used a toothbrush for the hard to reach places. Polished my can, soaked the chain in jet fuel for a few hours, then let it dry, got rid of the stubborn bits with chain cleaner, put it back on, lubed it up and sprayed exposed metal areas with silicone spray, and by the time I was finished, she was a showroom model begging to be ridden. But after 5 hours of surgical detail cleaning, (and it was dark by this stage) i decided to put her back in the garage for a dry, salt-free day, and vowed for it never to get that bad again.

6. JDB

JDB

7. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Hmm seems like quite a nifty solution, but as you said just sounds like WD40 to me