675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by superme79, Jul 8, 2008.

1. superme79

superme79

What products do you use to clean and polish your bike? I was looking round Halfords at the weekend and there seem to be a few options. I wanted a degreaser / cleaner to get rid of filth from the wheels and some sort of polish to make it all shine like a squaddies boots! Any suggestions?

2. i use "WURTH" engine and wheel cleaner to clean my wheels, i also spray some on a bit of paper towel and clean off chain lube that's got flung onto any other parts of the bike before i wash the bike properly, cos otherwise it's really annoying when you think you're washing the thing but what you're really doing is spreading lube everywhere :evil:

3. superme79

superme79

4. i don't think i would trust that 3 in 1 stuff anywhere apart from the chain.
    never had any probs with the "WURTH" range of products, i have used
    chain lube
    engine and wheel cleaner
    chain cleaner/degreaser
    brake cleaner

all good stuff.

can't comment on the autoglym stuff cos i haven't used it, check out the prices, if it's dearer....don't bother - you'll just be paying for the name.

5. Stu

Stu

You can't beat the good old jet wash pumping out at over 60psi. Wash down with car shampoo and clean the wheels with WD40. On a very boring Sunday I'll autosol the exhaust/link pipe then dry off with a leather. Carb or brake clenaer on the um brakes.

6. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I've heard mixed views about jet washing bike's, have you had any problems with water getting into areas of the engine where it shouldnt? Jet washing is very efficent though! :p

7. Stu

Stu

Go to any dealer and they have a jet wash for cleaning bikes. Mine do. I try to keep it off the chain and I have upset the alarm a couple of times but no real problems. I ride all year round so the bike isn't show room condition but the jet wash does do a good job.

it gets in where my hands won't go like the radiator top (not the fins) and inside the fairing. Does a good job on the shock spring too. I know everyone won't agree with jet washing a bike but i've been doing it for years.

8. superme79

superme79

Thanks. I'm surviving with a bottle of car shampoo, a hose and a brush at the moment! :)

9. I use a Turtle car shampoo, WD-40 for wheels, no wax just teflon based coating once every few months.
    WD-40 is great for wheels try it.
    Look at autoglym lifeshine products...

10. Army_Roofus

Army_Roofus

11. Sorry on the late reply, but I use Auto Glym products. I know the polish and shampoo is for cars, but it works a treat on the bike. The degreaser is excellent too. Halfords and Hein Gericke sell all this stuff too.

12. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

I used to use some type of Japanese grease remover stuff, worked great - it was like those bounty adverts with one wipe. For the life I can't remember the name of it though; I'll let you know if I every find the damn can. One chore I don't enjoy with bikes is cleaning them - far too many awkward gaps to get in! :)