675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Clocks misting

Discussion in 'General' started by Ninjaboy, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy

Anyone else had a problem with misting/condensation inside the speedo clocks. Mine is an 09 SE with 2600 miles on the clock.

Only noticed it today when I took her out. :erm:

2. mine does it after its been washed and for the next couple of runs. I put it down to all the steam coming up off the rad, when I wash it (I know I should let it cool down but if I dont wash it when I get back, it would never get washed!!).

3. Ninjaboy

Ninjaboy

Its disappeared now. Washed her last time out so probably that. Thanks :cheers:

4. Carpel21

Carpel21

My clocks glitched when I first got the bike and the dealer put it down to water ingression from washing. Had to get the replaced under warranty so beware getting them wet. I think it may be a common Triumph flaw across the range.

5. havnt had any misting probs and done just over 17,000 on mine..but i do get glitching with the gear indicator flickering with the gear you in and a higher gear when you give it large

6. Leave the bike where the sun can shine on the clock for a few hours and any water inside will evaporate

7. Deegee

Deegee Moderator Staff Member

I would think it's a similar thing to the headlights misting. As you cycle the clocks/lights through hot and cold cycles, cooler sometimes damp air is drawn into the breather hole as they cool and the air contracts within.

Used to be a common fault with marine instrumentation (plenty of cool damp air there) so now they use a sealed unit with a diaphragm to absorb the expansion and contraction.
    Strangely enough Triumph don't. I wonder why.

8. Jezz

Jezz

Mine's never done it but when I was in Triumph last there was a guy getting his clocks replaced under warranty for the same issue