675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

cornering with speed

Discussion in 'Riding Tips' started by Graham H675, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Graham H675

Graham H675

how's it done i've tried it down some nice quite roads now it's not slow going round the bend but everytime i try to push a little faster i run wide any answers to how i might sort this out???

2. It sounds like you are turning in too soon to me.

Easiest way to sort this out is spend £109 and do the IAM course.

3. Or spend £109 and come to Mallory Park with me on Sat 01 Aug ....

IAM will show you the line. The track will teach you more about your bike than you can learn on the road, and its safer.

4. Spend £200 and do both!

5. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

Find a quiet road and practise. I think you're turning too soon, too. A 675 turns so damn quick, you can leave turning it very very late. How late obviously depends on the severity of the corner, visibility, exit route, other traffic etc. Are you sure that you're finding the correct apex and exit points? Suggest turn later... yes sometimes the kerb is coming up very quick. Why don't you give it a go on open corners with good visibility.

6. Hi Graham,

I have been pondering your post for the last couple of days and whilst riding today I really though about what I was doing when cornering to see if there was anything I could tell you.

Now, I am not amazingly fast, but I can pretty much go quicker than most of the cars on the road go round corners and here is what I have learnt....

1) I always tend to set my line into a corner in a particualr way. For example, on a left hander I stay to the right and vice versa. I find this not only gives me the best vision through the corner but also gives me a bit of room for error if I turn in too early.

2) Depending on how tight the turn is I then do one of 3 things. For a not so tight turn I pick my spot where I will turn and then just stay put. For a medium turn I will stick my knee out (in the direction of the turn) and for a tight turn I tend to shift my whole body to that side of the bike and in essence "hang off".

3) Something I have tried very hard to work on is entry speed. I always feel that I am going in far too slow, so not carrying the cornering speed I really want, however, when I have pushed it on the odd occasion and goone in too hot, I have had to get off the gas and clean the brown stain from my leathers (not good). I find that going in slower and just getting to know a corner will not only do your confidence the world of good, but you will also be able to start getting faster through the turn.

4) Whilst in the corner, I try just to keep a gentle acceleration on (much lke you should do in the car). If you have ever read "A Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code, he suggests that the best state for a bikes suspension is 40 - 60 (front - rear). To acheive this you just need gentle gas around the corner. this should keep the bike nice and steady and allow you to concentrate on where to turn etc.

5) For the occasions you do go in too hot and are going to run wide (not good on a left hander in particular) then what I have tended to do is just lean more and counter steer. It takes a lot nerve to not just hit the brake, but I think it is safe to say that the D675 could probably out turn most average peoples abilitiesso just lean over a bit more and look around the corner to where you want to go.

Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs....these are just my observations I have made in my quest to go faster round corners.

If you can try and describe exactly how you take a corner I am sure more people will be able to give their opinions on improvements.

Cheers
    Sparky

7. Not a bad post Sparky :) .

Two points to stress are look where you want to go, (not the verge for example) or you get target fixation and that is where you will end up.

Do not ease off the gas or brake, both of these will have the same effect, the bike will stand up and go straight on.

I read somewhere once, if you are going slow enought to ease of the gas or brake, you are going slow enough to leam more and get round the corner. Agreed easier said than done when the chocolate starfish is twitching.

8. spike

spike

try a track day m8, although you wont get much real life road riding experience, you will gain cornering experience like you will never believe. ;)
    you dont have to go like a loony but you will deffo be cornering faster than you will ever go on the road.
    so when you overcook it going into a corner on the road you will be thinking oh fu*k then go hang on i was going quicker than this at donington on a similar type bend or where ever your track day is, and give you the cohonies to tip it in that bit more with out grabing the hand full of brake.
    it doesnt stop the brown streaks in your leathers or that arse twitching moment, :eek: but you will certainly come out of the corning laughing and screaming in a near ecstacy inducing way ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

failing that .......
    AS A LAST RESORT and only as a last resort (i cant stress this enough) if i am riding fast on roads i dont know , i will tend to go into a corner a gear higher so that if i have overcooked it and the bend is tightening too much i can drop a gear mid corner which gives me a bit more engine breaking and scrub some speed , this allows you to stay cranked over but gives a bit of breaking without sitting the bike up.
    DO NOT do this in the wet and do not go second to first you can lock up your rear wheel without a slipper clutch

9. Graham H675

Graham H675

Thanks guys Top read sparky i will go out on the bike and see how i'm doing it and try some of the above thanks alot

10. Stu

Stu

Sports bikes need steering as your arse is higher that your hands. I'm betting you had an upright bike before the 675. You can't use your body weight as much to steer it so use counter steer. When you go around a roundabout put very gentle pressure on the right bar pushing it away from you, this is only very slight pressure. You'll find the bike tips in to the turn a lot quicker. Pull the other bar to bring the bike back up to the straight.

11. no worries! I'm no expert, but those were just my observations on what I do, and I am the same as you In that I have been trying to get faster on corners.
    I look forward to hearing how you have got on, and if there are any suggestions you can chuck back this way they will be gratefully received!

Cheers
    Sparky

12. SteveH

SteveH

Graham buy the twist of the wrist books. They explain all of the afore mentioned topics in great detail and give you ideas for a few drills to try. I've got all 3 in the series and keep going back to them for reference, they really are very good and have everything written down in plain English, without being patronising.

Steve

13. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

PM Ian (xcbrrider) and book a session with him. He doesn't hang around. I have learned so much from following him. I once thought 'ha, I'll show him' - on the road back from Lake Vyrnwy it was. Humiliation followed :lol:

You'll be faster. Much faster. I promise :cool:

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for complement Ed, I'm not that quick ;) .
    Have a ride with Jap, (Ray) he can show you some fast corner speeds, may not be the speed limit :lol: .
    I think the best way to build confidence in cornering is by doing a few track days where you are in a safer environment,you haven't got to worry about vehicles coming in the other direction or breaking the speed limit :D
    Take care and safe riding

15. wasn't that what I said at the beginning? :D

The safest place to learn is the track. You learn more about how to ride on the track in 1 day, than you could through years of experience on the road...

Thruston 1st Aug £109 - get it booked. :D

16. SteveH

SteveH

Another vote for the track here. However I'm also looking into Cali Superbike school as I've seen guys who have been on here with MASSIVE results!

Steve

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Go with No limits trackdays and ask for some help ,it's free :D .
    They will take you around the track and give you advice on how set yourself up for corners,they will follow you for a few laps ,at the end of the session they will talk to give you advice and boost your confidence .
    They will spend as much time with you as you want. :)
    It's also cheaper than the superbike school :!:

18. I'm going to the superbike school on 16th June. I hope it's not raining! It may be expensive but everyone I know raves about it!

19. Let me know how it goes. Im interested in this.

Im just worried everyone will go past me like im going backwards and I will feel a complete noob.

20. SteveH

SteveH

I had exactly the same reservations about that on my first track day. Have to say though once you get used to people passing you quite close, and relax into it, there really is nothing better :) Don't forget most tracks are way wider than any road also with lots of run off if you get it wrong.

Having done a trackday with my mirrors still attatched though I'd recommend taking them off for the track, otherwise you tend to concentrate to much on whats behind you.

Steve