675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

cracked double bubble screen

Discussion in 'General' started by kingfixer, Jun 5, 2009.

1. kingfixer

kingfixer

I bought a 'skidmarx' screen about 8 weeks ago, before i went on holiday (3 weeks ago) i cleaned the bike
    and noticed a crack appearing at the bottom corner. I phoned skidmarx and explained this and they said it could be wear & tear :roll: , i disagreed as it was only 5 weeks old at the time and they suggested i send in some photo's for them to see. I have done this but not heard anything for a few days, does anybody know where i stand on this issue :(

2. If the crack is coming from a screw hole they will probably say you overtightened it and give you no joy. Use emotional blackmail telling them that you will tell everyone on the forum that the customer service is crap. Tha said they will most likely replace the screen. Good luck

3. My Triumph screen was cracked at the bottom corners when I got the bike. The dealer replaced it as part of the deal.

4. Stu

Stu

Mine's cracked in the bottom right corner as you look at it. I had to drill the crack to stop it running. I bought it off of eBay so I have no idea what make it is though. I now think it could be a Skidmarx. it was a tighther fit than the oem screen so I think the crack is caused by vibration.

5. Rowly

Rowly

I've just fitted a Triumph aero screen, having checked the recommended torque
    settings of 1.5 NM I immediately realized I have no wrench or torque driver that
    goes that low so I suspect most of us that change the screen just guess, this could
    result in over tightening of the screws which could crack the screen? :duh:

6. kingfixer

kingfixer

Stu, Exactly the same place as mine, cracked in the botton right hand corner where it is notched. You must be right with the vibration as mine was a tight fit as well. i will ring skidmarx tomorrow to find out what is going on, either way it should last longer than 5 weeks and i don't use the bike everyday either so piss poor really!! :oops:

7. kingfixer

kingfixer

Have spoken to skidmarx today and they are quite happy to replace it as the crack has not started at one of the fixing points :clap: :clap: Amazing what happens when you speak to someone different at the company!! My only problem now is i put one of my large 675 stickers on it :boo:
    Any going spare :?:

8. Stu

Stu

Result. As I bought mine 2nd hand of eBay I'll either have to live with it or go back to the stock screen. As I only bought it to see if it would make my new Schuberth C3 lid quieter I won't loose any sleep. The stock screen was deflecting the wind up my lid behind my left ear and causing a whistle. The new screen does the same :(