675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

D675 2009 MCN report Part 1

Discussion in 'General' started by Iron Urchin, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

2009 Triumph Daytona 675 first ride!
    By Trevor Franklin

Bike tests

02 December 2008 11:29

Almost three years to the day Triumph have released the latest version of the Triumph Daytona 675.

The first Triumph Daytona 675 test session for the press is in progress now at Cartegena Circuit, Spain. Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin is putting the bike through its paces and here are his initial thoughts.

"The tight twisting circuit has so far proven how agile the new model is – and how strong the three cylinder is through the mid-range.

Triumph motorcycles for sale
    See all motorcycle reviews
    "The improvements of a lighter chassis and three brake horse power more at peak power really make a difference down the main straight; hook another gear through the sweet gearbox and the bike just drives and drives, all the time with that triple cylinder howl coming out the under-seat exhaust. Intoxicating is not the word.

"In the mainly second and third gear turns the throttle can be nailed from as low as 3,000 rpm and the bike responds beautifully, with the flat torque curve the triple is renowned for. It doesn’t matter if you miss a downshift, the engine will always pull you out of trouble.

"As for handling, Triumph have worked wonders with the Daytona’s Kayaba suspension, which now features high and low speed compression damping front and rear. While some riders are reporting exemplary suspension movement yours truly needed just a touch more front pre-load to reduce the amount of front fork dive from the violent weight transfer of 15.5 stone (naked).

"The new Nissin monobloc calipers and discs are full of feel at the lever while maintaining strong braking pressure from the high speed start finish straight, there is a back brake.

"Cosmetic changes only include the cockpit lay out with a revised upper fairing and headlight. This gives the bike a fresh, modern style combining modern supersport and a touch of Ducati with the visible rear sub frame tubes."

All in all the modifications have so far proved their worth at the circuit and tomorrow Trevor will give his view of a 130km road ride through Spain’s mountainous roads.

keep your eyes on the MCN website for the next part of the report - sounds good so far. :D

2. Iron Urchin

Iron Urchin

sounds like it's a hit on the road too.......see below

report shamelessly copied from MCN again :D

2009 Triumph Daytona 675 first test - road riding update
    By Trevor Franklin

Bike tests

03 December 2008 11:00

The world first test of the 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 is taking place in Spain - and this is today's update - how the Daytona 675 performs on challenging mountain roads.

Triumph motorcycles for sale
    See all motorcycle reviews
    For yesterday's track riding impression of the Triumph, click here

Road impression:

Triumph's new Daytona 675 motorcycle performs faultlessly on the road.

The fully updated new Daytona 675 has proved more than a match for the twists and turns of the local Spanish roads.

The Triumph Daytona's superb midrange from the triple cylinder engine is right on the money. It literally is a matter of opening the throttle at any revs for the bike to pull and, like the track report stated yesterday, the bike's chassis performs superbly.

There are several things that instil confidence in the rider: one is the superb suspension and another is the Pirelli Diablo Super Corsa SP tyres.

Then there are the excellent Nissin brakes which bail you out at the slightest sign of getting it wrong.

Although the seating position is still high at the back and the clip-ons low there is still plenty of room to move about on the seat and enjoy the twisting roads.

Some of the bikes on the test have been fitted with Triumph's aftermarket Arrow exhaust cans and to hear the exhaust droning through the valleys makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand like Velcro.

High-speed jaunts on the fast flowing A-roads showed the Daytona to be very, very stable. All-in-all Triumph have got this bike spot-on.

3. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

Looks fantastic; went to the NEC yesterday to see it... So tempted!
    Just uploading some hi-res images of what they had yesterday...

Thinking of getting one as well then?? ;)

Rest of the images & hi-res --> gallery2.php?g2_itemId=399

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I don't want to know about the new one, I've only just got the old one!!! :(

That said, I couldn't afford the new one anyway! ;)

5. Stu

Stu

Thanks for posting that IU. It just goes to show we have the best mid range sports bike :) Hopefully it will be bike of the year for the 3rd year running.

Go on Craig. You know you want to :) :lol:

6. jimjam39

jimjam39

I had a good look over it at the NEC as well, I was really impressed. Im definetley getting a new bike next year but I'm torn between the red 09 675 and the Iong bang R1. Only god knows how I am going to pay for them though ! Think next years new bike may well be my last sports bike as well, I was very tempted by the Burnt orange speed triple with all the add-ons at the show.

7. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

lol, it will happen; just a matter of when... hopefully sooner rather than later! The temptation is far too great! :cool:

The R1 looked great in white, obviously avoiding the 675 colour scheme they chose :lol: not too sure about the exhausts ~ they're too chunky at the back. Also the new CBR RR 600 LE in ice white and blue looked great.

[​IMG]

Still, have to say the 675 for me was the key bike at the show :)

8. jimjam39

jimjam39

Agree with you on that one, it was one of the stand out bikes of the show for me.