675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Dealer 500 mile service

Discussion in 'General' started by Rowly, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Rowly

Rowly

Hi everyone,
    Before I had my bike delivered the dealer suggested that they could undertake the
    500 mile first service even though the bike had only 100 miles on the clock since
    first registered so I agreed as this would save me a 250 mile round trip to the
    dealers and back, the question I should like to ask is was this first service done
    to early and should I change the oil again when it actually reaches 500 miles?
    Your comments and advice welcome,
    Thanks, Rowly :) :) :)

2. Stu

Stu

The oil put in at the factory is a lighter weight so the 500 mile service is just an oil change as far as I know. I'd change the oil and filter at 500 miles as there could be still be debris in the sump. It won't harm to do it.

3. Rowly

Rowly

Hi Stu thanks for reply ;)

4. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Normally the 500 service is oil & filter and a spanner check. If the bike has only done 100 miles I would change the oil and filter again at 500-600 as the engine will still be bedding in

5. Rowly

Rowly

In order to get at the oil filter which fairing left or right hand is best to remove? :roll:

6. Stu

Stu

It's tricky but you can get the filter off without taking the fairing off with a Clarke Claw wrench. They are under a tenner.
    [​IMG]

7. Rowly

Rowly

Thats great news cause I already have one of them that I use on my classic Mini cooper, saving money at long last ;)

8. Chris

Chris

Hi Rowly,

I've had my SE from new and changed the oil and filter at 150 miles. Went to the dealer for the 500 mile service then I changed oil and filter again at 1000 miles. I've always removed the LHS fairing to gain access to the filter.

There's varying opinions about run in, not least because the dealer, Triumph manual and tank guide all say different things. I stayed with the tank guide to 800 miles.

Worth checking over fairing, and indicator fixings, I had a couple work loose in the first 300 miles.

Enjoy the break-in!

9. Rowly

Rowly

A big thanks to everyone for your advice and comments, a big help!!!!!! it's great to be involved with the forum. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

10. as already said Rowly, defo change the oil and filter at 500/600 miles and then again at 3-3.5k or maybe sooner if you're really pushing the engine frequently.

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

I took mine in for the 500 mile service and was told thats it "Go have some fun" And by Chr** did I I've done just over 3000 mile in 4 months of riding and I best get te oil changed acording to the sound advive on here.

What oil is best/recommended and do I need anything else other than a filter?

Cheers
    Jap

12. Chris

Chris

This is what I use for the oil change...

Mobile 1 Racing 41 SAE 15W-50 - A9650004
    Triumph Oil Filter - T1210444
    Triumph Oil Filter Wrench, 64MM - T3880312
    Triumph Crush/Sealing Washer, M14 - T3550092

The dealer recommended using semi-synthetic to 6,000 miles then going for the fully-synthetic (as detailed above).

Filter torque to 10Nm
    Oil drain plug torque to 25Nm

I know people who don't replace the crush washer and have not had any problems, but they cost hardly anything so why skimp?

pics attached.

Attached Files:

13. Stu

Stu

I've always used fully synth as per Trumpets recomendation but lately I've been using semi due to the cost. No problems as yet with the fully synth :)

14. Rowly

Rowly

Thats what I called detailed accurate information,well done Chris will duly note for future reference.
    No doubt Jap_sti_3 will do the same. ;)

15. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

You don't work for triumph do you chris? Or is your second name Haynes lol

16. Stu

Stu

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Whoow, well impressed................. Now that is what all posts should be like ;)

Great info Chris :cool: :geek: :ugeek:

Very impressed.................Cheers Rowly Ya got me sussed ;) :geek: :ugeek:

18. Chris

Chris

No problem chaps, happy to help.

Would love to work for Triumph ... but alas it's but a dream! :roll:

19. SV_Justin

SV_Justin

Hahaha, you know what I think it would be best left a dream, I could imagine being really disappointed when I found out they did not build every single bike lovingly piece by piece with real emotion and personality

20. Stu

Stu

The way they make the Rocket is a bit special.

http://www.youtube.com/v/HKEuzxC4eGc&hl=en&fs=1