675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

DIPSTICK LEVEL?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by mark mac, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mark mac

mark mac

Hi Guys,

Just changed the oil in my '06 675, bikes nice and level, and I'm using the dipstick to get the correct level,

I've searched on here and realised there was an error with the early dipsticks????

I have the following markings on my dipstick

(empty) XXXIXXXXXXXXXIXXXXXX (full)

so what level should I fill it to? Its currently at the 2nd marker, but what are the further XXXX hatchings above this line for????

Cheers Guys.

2. hi good question i hope someone on here has the answer maybe we should be looking to get the newer type dipstick??

3. miker

miker

Think it helps you know if you have over filled! if it was smooth it would be harder to check the oil level! the xxx hold the oil! I try to keep mine just below the full line! Remember to warm engine before testing! e.g. run for 5 min let stand fr 3 mins!

4. mark mac

mark mac

so just take the level to the 2nd marker after warming it and letting it settle?

5. The oil should be between the two dark marks
    empty xxx[xxxxxxxxx]xxxxx full
    ............................[about here.
    When you check the oil make sure you screw the dip stick back in fully and then unscrew and remove the dip stick to check the level of the oil.

6. mark mac

mark mac

cheers pal. nice and clear.