675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Dual lighting

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by GraphiteDeelight, Nov 25, 2008.

1. GraphiteDeelight

GraphiteDeelight

Hi, does anyone know how to wire up the head-lights on the 675 Daytona so that both are on together, as i think they look so much better with that. I used to have an R6 1999 and they were both on all the time..I did see on Ebay once for sale a kit that did this but it went before i could get details..I know one bulb is more wattage because it`s the main beam one and maybe have to change that..how does that affect using main beam ?? take it i can`t..never mind, the lights are good enough as is anyway. BUT, if i CAN use main and dipped then hey ho, job done..Just want to use both headlamps for both dipped and main, if possible...as it`s an 08 bike i`m not worried till the MOT is due...
    hope you guys can help..? Thanks Mark

2. Hi Mark,you have probable given up hope of an answer to your quirey,but having only just joined the forum,I have only just spotted your's.As a person who has some knowledge of your subject,I would say that it is a little more complicated that a bit of rewiring.The headlamps both have single filiment bulbs & serve different functions.The dipped beam (the left hand light as your sat on the bike) has a flat beam to avoid dazzling other road users. The high beam (the right hand as you are sat on the bike)is effectivly a spot light,giving a round beam for maximum light penitration,so it would dazzle other road users,so having both on at the same time would be the same as being on high beam all the time.The solution is to have twin filiment bulbs in both lights,but as the fitting are very different,it would need some kind of conversion to the lights or replacing the lights all together.The only conversion kit I have see is a HDI high intensity light set up as use on top spec cars & the police (suppose to give a better light,need an inverter to power them & seem to be quite expensive £150-200 I believe) but I don't think it will have the effect your after.Maybe some 2009 R1 lights (they dip by actually moving the lamp!).Won't be many in the breaker yet though!Regards,Tony.

3. Stu

Stu

Some info here but it's a bit out of date now.

Stu

4. henrymc

henrymc

Hi just found this thread, have asked my local dealer about this as i had the same idea about haveing twin beams and the answer from the guys in the workshop was you can but would advise against as there is a heat issue, ie you could melt the headlight unit

5. SteveH

SteveH

I heard from a reputable source the other day before the days of projector lights Triumph used to have a plug in loom that could be plug and play to get both lights on. Not sure if this would be available for the 675 though.

Another vote here for the heat issue though. That could cause major problems down the line.

Steve

6. henrymc

henrymc

I had heard that about the Triumph kit for the lights also, Steve. That was why i spoke to the mechanics in Webb's in Lincoln,they rekon not something Triumph do now as makes a bile look like a car from a distance? If your eyes are that bad you should not be driving,

7. It's thoughs Frenchies that are the problem,it's them that have a law that says that you can only have one headlight on dipped beam cos if you have two it looks like a car at a distance!!! So the rest of us in Europe have to suffer.Some of the Jap bikes only have single headlamps on dipped for the French market (like my other bike, a Fazer 1000).But what do you expect from a nation that used to drive around with yellow headlights!!!!

8. SteveH

SteveH

Not to mention on the wrong side of the road ;)

Steve

9. I have no problem riding on the other side of the road (spend most of my time there, any way, overtaking Grannies & tourist) although it does take a bit of time getting use to riding 3ft from the centre line rather than the kerb,like being a learner again! And who's to say we are right, most of Europe drive on the 'wrong' side!

10. SteveH

SteveH

Of course WE are right. WE are BRITISH!!!! lmao ;)

Steve

11. But most of the world drive on the same side as we do :)

12. davelad1959

davelad1959

Hi pal, only just become a member of this site, I feel the same as you! single light looks CR*P, so I bought a conversion kit to bring on the main beam which has a variable resistor to "DIM" it down as much as you like. From http://WWW.TRIUMPH-ONLINE.CO.UK not bad to fit (easy instructions) & you can alter the brightness of the RH light, it still goes to full brightness when you hit the main beam switch.

13. That sounds illegal to me.

14. Hi Godzilla,

I would love dual lights, but can you let us know why you think it is illegal? Don't want Mr Plod to have any excuses now do I?!

Cheers
    Sparky

15. The conversion he is talking about would give a 'MAIN BEAM' headlight that is impossible to DIP. This would mean an MOT failure and therefore is illegal and could result in interest from Mr Plod

16. Graham H675

Graham H675

just cause it's an mot failure dosen't mean it illegal. The more mr plod is going to be bothered about is being dazzled by it as the main beam has no beam pattern basicly like driving a car with the front fogs on all the time. To do this conversion properly you would need to compleaty revamp the head light on the bike

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I fitted a twin headlight thingy 2 years ago and had no probs with it.

This is from the instructions that came with it and about a careful hour to install it.

The Twinlight Driver will enable the highbeam light to turn on with a lower light
    setting (adjustable). No permanent modification to the wiring is required and the
    highbeam still works like normal.

18. davelad1959

davelad1959

Hi Godzilla,
    in regard to it being illegal: I have spoken to an MOT Tester over this & the only thing it would fail on is the fact that the main beam tell tale in the dash is on permanently (it dims down with the dimming of the main beam). As the main beam can be made as dim as you want it & still goes to full brightness when you flick the switch, I have had several encounters with Mr plod without them even noticing. I am adding a couple of pictures to my gallery so that you can see that i have set the light so as "not to offend" :twisted:

19. andysjt

andysjt

dave lad ,

hi mate , have you had any problems with overheat / premature bulb blow or undue drain on the battery ??

i would like to fit unit but would be a bit concerned about these issues

it was alot easyer on the old speed trip just plug in a relay & off you go , technology ...eh?

cheers
    andy

20. davelad1959

davelad1959

Hi Andy,
    Fitted the twin light driver about 6 months ago & had no problems with it at all, I was a bit paranoid about heat in the variable resistor so left the light cover off & checked it after a 120 mile ride & it was cooler than the light units. The bike had an unrelated voltage regulator problem 2 months ago which pushed the charging voltage up to 16-17 volts which blew the dip beam bulb but still didn't overheat the resistor, Triumph sorted the alternator under warranty & they said that this conversion couldn't cause the charging fault. if you want to speak to me about it PM me & i'll give you my number.

Dave