675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

ducati 996

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by 675 hooligan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

im the first person 2 post WOOHOO :mrgreen:

any1 had a 916 or 996 i love my 675 sooooooo much but ive always loved ducati's as both my pops and my uncle has had and still does own them i just dunno if i could part with my 675 for1, me personally i think it would take a hell of a bike to fill the hole my 675 has made im just curious.... cheers boys :mrgreen:

2. make sure you have enough money for the biggest set of Snap-On tools you can find :D

3. 675 hooligan

675 hooligan

im a car mechanic,ive already got a huoge snap on ox full of shiny snap on tools so bring it on! haha :lol:

4. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

...and a mortgage application form for when it needs dealer attention

5. You need a printing press and some Royal Mint plates too :D

I am so glad I no longer have my Duke.

6. spike

spike

the 916 might not be the most reliable but it is drop dead gorgeous and a work of art, truely iconic
    if i had the cash i would deffo have one as a second ride.

erm i would also have to have an mv agusta F4 as a ..... erm third ride lol if the wallet was big enough

7. mark mac

mark mac

Thats my next step up I think. 1098... red or tricolore

8. kingfixer

kingfixer

+ 1 :D ................or a blade :D

9. mark mac

mark mac

I'm gonna do my best to avoid jap bikes...I dont need ultra reliability...I have a car for that.....I love my bikes to be a litle bit different...hence my fondness of italian bikes...its the 675s engine and none jap staus that swung it for me...
    my dads owned many a Duke..750ss, 800ss, 888sp5, he was concidering a 999 but age has got the better of him so a sit up and beg it is...

well..."beg" may not be the right word for a downgeared tuono! hooligan with no fairing!

10. My mate's got a 996. So far it has been reliable but he does spend around a grand a year servicing it!!!!! I've ridden it and it is very nice to ride and has so much torque and a great noise!!

11. D41

D41

I love the Ducs also, but the whole maintenance thing is a deal-breaker for me......probably - I still love the looks of the 999, even though most people don't care for the front end.

12. The new ones have normal servicing costs now. And Ducati are currently offering the first years servicing free (inc the running in) and a years extra warranty.

I'd be tempted if I had the money!!!!

13. D41

D41

Yeah, but a valve job every 7500 miles is no great leap forward from 6000 when compared to a Triumph's 12,000....I won't even mention the Jap bikes.

14. T9Steve

T9Steve

Just thought I throw in my experience of owning Ducati`s, all I can say is they are as reliable as any other European, Japanese or American bike I`ve owned. I had five bikes from 1997 to 2002, 3 x 900ss, 1 x 748 and 1 x 916. two were new the others second hand. They were on the road 52 weeks of the year doing about six thousand miles per year. The intermediate 6k service costs were between £98 and £128 and the one 12k service I paid for cost me £340. My brother had his Monster serviced at the same shop in June this year and was charged £399 for the 12k service and new front tyre and they fitted some heated grips supplied by him. Which I thought was`nt too bad a price.
    I`m trying to get him off his Monster and onto a Street Triple later this year but he is concerned about the reliability of Triumphs!!!

15. feet

feet

I too have had several ducs, the 750SS I had for 9 years and did around 80000 miles, serviced it my self and it ran like a sweety. I now have a 916 as a second bike alongside the daytona 675. They are like chalk and cheese, But I love em both. Ducati can be a bit quirky and need some TLC but then the triumph has its own issues. I think the triumph is more of a thrashers machine and will take a lot of abuse, very focused , the ducati is more of a gentle thrash, bit heavier and more stable, "on rails" but must be enjoyed for what it is. Italian. I find myself prefering to use my ducati for 30-50 miles trips where i don't go into town and the Triumph if i have to go through town. Ducati's just hate slow traffic and the clutch i so so heavy, whereas the triumph loves to sneak up the extra lane, traffic is no problem.

16. Not wishing to sound like a complete twat, consider me slightly bowed as I humbly confess to my other bike, a 1199 Panigale Tricolore... woo-hoo. Of course I love it, but then I've just come back from one of the most memorable rides I've ever enjoyed... on my 675R Daytona. No, not the latest, but the one before with the under seat pipes. The Pani' is definitely significantly pokier, but the little Triumph p!sses all over it in the handling stakes! I've never had the bottle to knee-down the Ducati, but on the Triumph, it's possible almost everywhere.

17. If you're after 916/996 looks how about getting 998? It has theTestastretta engine which is far more reliable than older units... or 996R :)