675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Exup servo motor broken. Replace or eliminate?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by Philip Howson, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Philip Howson

Philip Howson

Just had my 2013 675R Daytona into a dealer to investigate an ECU light. As I suspected, the Exup Valve Servo is broken. It's 120 for the servo, plus labour (probably another 120) to fully fix.

Given I usually use this bike on track, and therefore rarely run it at less than 6000rpm, I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile??? Opinions? :?::?::stir:. I am running a stock exhaust.

I know the subject of Exup elimination has been done to death, but I'm not likely to miss the extra low end torque, if I usually run the bike at 8000rpm + when the exup is usually fully open, so in this specific case, wondering what people's opinions are.

I've had the bike on track for a few trackdays (had them booked and didn't have much choice but to use the bike). I have not experienced any issues with the lack of exup, on track I don't feel it to be that noticeable and I was catching some other 675s on corner exit, so I doubt it's down on power much.

2. ste46

ste46

I've just fitted a servo buddy to my 15 plate, after 80 miles eml went out bike runs fine

3. -LG-

-LG-

I vote eliminate it. One less thing that can go wrong then and I doubt you'll even notice any difference in power delivery.

4. Get rid of it, likely chances it will raise it's head somewhere down the line...

5. MattPoss

MattPoss

Mine packed in on my 2009 Daytona SE and I got a replacement from Speedy675 for £45 delivered, piece of cake to fit it too

6. Is it the same as 2012 Daytona one. if so I have one as I bought akra headers. Yours for £30? Or anyone else who wants it?

7. Philip Howson

Philip Howson

Thanks for the advice guys. It's a bit different from the old 2012 one, I managed to get a second hand one complete with cables on ebay for 35 (which is 10 quid cheaper than a servo buddy i think), so have just fitted that for the moment. Works just fine. If it goes again, then i'm definitely eliminating!!

8. Philip Howson

Philip Howson

Did a post mortem on the broken servo, just out of interest. Looks absolutely fine in there. All solder joints good and no water penetration, visually looks as good as new, but it stank of burning (although no scorching anywhere). Guess the motor just decided it had had enough.