675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

False neutrals

Discussion in 'General' started by Jase675, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Jase675

Jase675

Has anybody ever had false neutrals? Mine is doing it constantly now. can hardly ride the bike, especially when down changing. Maybe a coincidence but I had tried bump starting it that morning. Surely it's strong enough for that. Any ideas guys cos the weather is here!!!!!

2. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

sods law, can't say I've seen similar problem around the forum's... Typical as the good weather coming in. :/

3. jimjam39

jimjam39

Cant say ive had this issue myself. Have have a problem changing down the box if i had come to a stop quickly, it seems to stick in say 3rd gear, but if you let the clutch out slightly it will then let you change down. Incidentally i had this on my cbr600 as well as my 07 daytona. As I said though, its not really the same problem. :(

4. Jase675

Jase675

Well I've had some goooood news so far....

The problem is a broken gear selector detent spring which is accessible from the clutch side once the clutch has been removed. So no need to split cases as all work can be done with engine in situ. The spring itself actually can't be abused or overworked as such. It just sits there and assists with gear selection, by pulling the internal gear selector into place(into the detent) and then holding it there. By the way, if you catch me talking bollocks then just ignore me! The knowledgeable mechanic at the renowned dealership says he's never heard or seen this before. But if you make a million of something then there has to be a few duffers.

I'll keep the forum posted on how this all works out.

5. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Nice one Jase675.. good to see you have a decent dealership who havd sorted the issue out for you ;) And welcome on board with our merry crew :cool:

6. Jase675

Jase675

Hi all.

Well it just gets better!!!!!!!!!!!

I've has some brilliant news fom Triumph regarding the false neutral problem. They have offered to pay for the fix themselves entirely, despite my FSH 1 owner bike being outside warranty period. My faith doesn't need restoring as I bought a Street Triple the weekend my 675 broke down! But it does reinforce the excellent service I've had from Triumph over the last few years.

Thanks to Mark at Windy Corner for all his advice and help recently, especially with this matter. It's worth the 120+ mile round trip journey every time.

Jase675

7. Hey all
    So this is my first delve into forums. I have a 2014 daytona 675 with abs the previous owner has had a quickshifter fitted. I've been reading a couple of posts on different forums and still a tad unsure about my problem.
    It started today 3500k miles give or take had all services done at local triumph dealers.
    As I was riding, going up through the gears as I wenr from 3rd to 4th It missed which I believe coud be a false neutral. This has happened a couple more times tonight. It has started to then do this when downshifting also no specific gearing.

The engine management light came on which has since gone off. And now it's decided that when in neutral with the side stand down it thinks it's in gear and cuts out.

Also the neutral light is flickering on and off and there is no resistance when trying to find neutral which I've always found easy to hit. I am really struggling now.

As I say sorry for rambling
    Really hopeing some one could help or shed any light.

Many thanks.

8. PyroUK

PyroUK

On the up shifts are you giving a real nice positive tap up on the selector?

I have had a couple of occasions where I haven't been as assertive as I should have shifting up and it goes in to a false neutral.

The QS needs to nice solid stroke up, no hesitation or half arsedness I found.

Re the rest of the stuff can't help there but sure someone else with some actual knowledge will be along shortly!

Oh and welcome!

9. Hi pyro
    Yeah I've always given it a good kicking to put it one way ha. It's not even when using the qshifter it's just clutch shifting. In 7 months never had a problem just started yesterday. To be fair the gearing has come back to normality abit in that it's up shifting ok. Downshifting is still abit akward in that I shifting down with a good foot and nothing is happening then another big kick down and it clunks/smashes into gear. But neutral is doing my fruit ha.

Thanks for help.

10. volant

volant

My Fazer was like this. An oil change (it shares engine oil, I don't know about the Daytona) and adjusting the gear shift link from the lever to the gearbox (rotating it on its thread to provide more throw) seemed to cure it..

11. I will have a tinker with the shift link as for the oil change it only had a service 2 months ago new oil etc. But I suppose anything could have happened in that time..

12. So bikes been into triumph today. A faulty gear position sensor and a weak but not broken detent spring. Warranty job still have to wait 2 days to get her back. :( but at least she will be bike with a bang.

Have a read that the detent springs were a issue on earlier models that had a recall or was this for a different problem.

13. Pete H

Pete H

So, this very "false neutral" started happening today when upshifting from 3rd to 4th when overtaking. By the time I got home had difficulty finding neutral, would just go to 2nd from 1st and no definitive neutral position....unlike the last time I rode it. Taking to Wellingborough Triumph next week....lets see what happens.

14. did they find the problem? Mine has just started doing this... tried to kill me by dropping out of gear into neutral on a bend

15. Pete H

Pete H

They Replaced detent spring and all seems ok now....not cheap though as they have to do a fair bit of dismantling to get to the problem area. All good now.

16. Pete H

Pete H

Didn't go to Triumph in the end....bike was still under warranty from dealer in Leicester. Top job, good blokes too.

17. IMG_7059.JPG IMG_7062.JPG Lucky you it's still in warranty.. I wasn't prepared to pay £85 ph labour charges