675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Fault light is on again!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Tweaks' started by mike675se, Jan 9, 2009.

1. mike675se

mike675se

I'm not happy! My bike is 10 months old and I've lost count how many times the fault light has come on. I thought it was just the exhaust valve again, but it's now gone into limp mode; It wont go past 8k revs doesn't pull away properly! Never had this problem with my 'blade. The dealer reckons it's something serious for it to do that, but has managed to get me booked in tomorrow morning.

Any one had similar troubles?

Any one wanna buy a '08 d 675 SE?

I'm not a happy man :(

2. Make sure the Battery terminals are nice and tight as this can cause the management light to come on even if they are the slightest bit loose although your dealer should find this obvious point.

Also is your bike one of those that requires the Fuel Relay recall as my dealer has told me that this can also put the bike into Limp Mode if the Relay starts to compromise the ECU (see Post Fuel Relay).

Why do they have to make things so complicated these days as all we want is something with 2 wheels that will do 160mph look better that Kate Moss on her wedding night and be invisible to Gatso's.

Good luck and dont give up on the D675 just yet afterall I have heard of Blades that went wrong during their early life and then gone on to provide years of pleasure without any problems.

Midgeman.

3. mike675se

mike675se

After the first incident I made the dealer check my engine number against his recall list and as far as I'm aware it is all ok. I've checked all the basics like Bty terminals and earths. It's just starting to frustrate me.

I'll reply to this post tomorrow evening once they've put it on the computer and found out what's wrong. Lets just hope I don't get another GSX F loan bike!

4. Craig

Craig Administrator Staff Member

LOL; hopefully it'll be a simple problem, otherwise the GSX F will be creeping around the corner like a nightmare. Mind you it could be worse.. ;) Be interesting to see the outcome...

5. Stu

Stu

Nasty bike. Use a dark visor so nobody can recongnise you :D

6. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

7. mike675se

mike675se

Well time for a Sit Rep!

Got a '51 reg VFR 800! (a shed complete with window box - not my cuppa)

Gt in Plymouth had it for the day, turned out that it was the exhaust valve thinggy, but it had stuck in the fully open posistion, and it was that which caused it to go into 'limp' mode.

Plus to top it off they say it's caused by the cold weather, apparantly it makes it stick, which means it wasn't a warrenty job, so they charged me £50 quid for an hours labour! But it's ok as he was gonna charge for the 2 hours it actually took.

It's the 4 time it's gone in for the same fault! Any advice?

8. Craig

What a obscure problem, who would of thought?! Even with the 4 different lot of problems I think I still would hang onto the bike to see if the curse has been lifted but I can see why you would have 2nd thoughts with regards to it.

9. Stu

Stu

I think the valve can be disabled. It's just so the exhaust passes the emissions test. I'd disagree that it wasn't a warranty claim. The bike failed and didn't perform as expected. I've had the valve control cables replaced on both 675s and it's always been under warranty. I'd speak to Triumph customer care.

10. i agree, i can't see how they can reasonably claim that it's not a warranty job.....phone directly to Triumph as Stu said.

11. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Gutted, 3000 miles and 6 month old and the Light Poped on today....................... :eek:

Not causing any problems riding and Stu told me what it was but cany remember, but I can point to it :?

"Is it on the Trolley, can you point to it" :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. This is worrying me, mines 18 months old and has only done 1700 miles, lets hope that any problems come before August when the warranty runs out!!

13. Stu

Stu

It's the exhaust valve actuator which allows the exhaust to pass the European noise level law. I rode around for months with mine on and I acutally changed the cables on Jean's bike. It's a warranty fix so don't worry. The should grease the valve in the header pipes or if the cables are corroded then they should change the cables.

Stu

14. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Cheers Stu,
    Great meeting you both, check out the pic's in Meeting :cool:

Off to Blackburn tomorrow after work so will bell them and now I know what its called I can pre warn them.

Blackburn garage is only 6 miles up the road from work. :geek:

15. Stu

Stu

Just make sure you get a Suzuki GSX-F as a loaner. They look the dogs :D

16. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Great recomendation Onlyonewayhome :D ........... Called Philip Youles and spoke to some one in sales, took my details and numbers and within 5-10 minutes Neil called me from service department.......... Top Service :D ;) :cool:

http://www.youlesmotorcycles.com :arrow: :ugeek:

Neil said they had done one or two of these with the last on being only last week :eek: so if anyone out there is worried (Onlyonewayhome Included) about there Beast, my advive. Get them called and booked in ASAP :shock: "It is going to Go" Sooner rather than later :x :oops:

As with every cloud there is always a "Silver Lining" :cool: and I've got myself a "Coutousy 675" for the day :D :D :D Here's hoping a a Spanker Watch this space....Damn if I'm not in work" May have to cry off early for a "Proper Test Ride" before picking up the "Beast"

Oh and it's done on Warranty ;) :) :D :cool: Roll on Thursday :ugeek:

17. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

Na................ 675............. asked for the Rocket but just sold it :( .............. Gutted :roll: but New 675 will see me just Right :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:D :D :D I'm In Heaven............ Went over to drop bike off tonight........... and asked the perfect question....

:eek: Which Bike would you like :eek:

Er, Rocket, no sorry sold, Tiger OK! :cool: no 675 OK! :evil: er Street Triple R OK............... :D :cry: :twisted:

What a Bike Dealership..................... Fan Blo** Tastick.............. :D :D :D All the Way

£800 off the old Flexi Bender, sign here, See Ya tomorrow night :D

ai390.photobucket.com_albums_oo341_Jap_Sti_3_2008_Triumph675003_3.jpg

ai390.photobucket.com_albums_oo341_Jap_Sti_3_2008_Triumph675002_3.jpg

ai390.photobucket.com_albums_oo341_Jap_Sti_3_2008_Triumph675004_2.jpg

Tonking it down with Rain and still Had a Blast from Backburn to Wardle :D ;) :twisted:

19. Craig

lol, can't complain when the dealer offers you a wide variety of bikes to choose whilst yours is in repair! Hows the "Street Triple R", judging by the exhausts must create half a racket! :p

20. Jap_Sti_3

Jap_Sti_3

:( Well What a Polaver :eek:

Got up to go for a blast yesterday (details on Meetings Board)

The warning light come back on, very un happy headed straight back to dealers, There was water in it (What i don't know) the sencor I think anyway they drained it :shock: and I was ready for the off again.

Now for the "Punch line", told by mechanic, If the light comes back on again its a new set of Headers for the "Beast" :eek: as the valve is semi imposible to remove :x :x :x

So anyone out there a little worried get the valve sorted before your bike is out of warranty :ugeek:

To cap it all off the damn thing came back on as I left my dads in Temple Normanton, went off at my sisters in Bawrty and come on and went off over the M62 What a polaver. It's off at the minute but it's not impressing me :? :(