675.cc • Triumph 675 Forum

Filling Up

Discussion in 'General' started by OnlyOneWayHome, May 13, 2009.

1. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

Hi,

When I fill the bike up with fuel I am normally stood next to it and it is on it's side stand. I fill it up to just below the rim. This is how I've always done it on both bikes I've owned.

The other day, I was at a garage and another bike filled the bike whilst sat on it, so it was up right. I presume that this is to get more fuel in.

My question (admittedly a very dull one!) is...... What technique do you use to fill the bike? If it is like the other guy, do you get a lot more in?

2. kingfixer

kingfixer

I must admit i sit on the bike while i fill up, i don't know why really i just always have! :D i dont know if you really get any more fuel in anyway it must be a tiny amount if you do. :)

3. i always fill up stood next to the bike..if you fill up whilst sat on the bike, what happens to the fuel level when you put it on the side stand to go pay for it ? plus, the cashier dont look at you like a criminal whos going to [email protected] off without paying :D .i have been to one garage that wouldnt switch the pump on till i was off the bike and taken off me lid..

4. kingfixer

kingfixer

It's never happened to me Nige, i also never fill it right to the brim so you can't get another drop in. You must look a bit dodgy Nige!! :lol: :lol:

5. andysjt

andysjt

im a sit on type of guy , you might get a few drops more in but that about it , i sit on as i think the bike is more stable , always done it like that , who knows if its the right or wrong way ?

6. OLLIE

OLLIE

Hi

Yeah im a sitter too but its juat a lazy thing, I always pay at pump so this way i dont have to get of the bike.
    just lazy. I dont know how much of a difference it would make to the amount of fuel?

7. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I have noticed that I have slightly scratched the paint on the ring round the filler cap from resting the nozzle against it.

8. Rowly

Rowly

According to the owners manual they recommend that you never fill to a level
    above the bottom of the filler neck, this to allow fuel expansion in hot conditions
    from engine and or sunlight. :cool:

9. Edski675

Edski675 Administrator Staff Member

I do the business standing rather than sitting :lol:

10. SteveH

SteveH

I'm a sitter. Don't even take my helmet off. Tesco's 99ron fuel and pay at pump rule! There is specific instruction on filling the fuel to a level in the user manual ;)

Cheers

Steve

11. Rowly

Rowly

I bet things get a bit messy in your bog :lol: :lol:

12. I stand next to the bike...that way if I overshoot I am not gonna get caught with a wet patch down my leg!

As for not filling it all the way....I pretty much always do....my theory is that I am going to ride the bike away from the garage and that will use enough fuel to get the level down a bit, even from my nearest petrol station. Oh the joys of living in the middle of no where!

13. andysjt

andysjt

good point sparky ,

filled up in Wrexham the other week & got the nozzle caught on my tank bag after filling up got the dregs from the pipe upon my crotch , my misses always said i was a petrol dick

14. Those long winter nights must fly by in your house :lol: If I ever have to read the manual - its too complicated.

15. I always sit on and fill her up to the brim. The less stopping the better I say :)

never had any probs with attendants...maybe I've an honest...er...visor

Ah Tescos, every little helps!

16. I always get off - can't be doing with the buttons & fafffing with nozle while sitting on bike.

Will never go to Morrisons again for fuel - I was out, not much else around, nade me take ny lid off, before selecting payment type button !! Right stroppy woman :evil:

Tesco - yes brilliant.

17. A stand up girl. you must be a tomboy :D

Funny some people always think the worst with us bikers....I blame Marlon Brando.

18. OnlyOneWayHome

OnlyOneWayHome

I asked the local Shell garage the first time I filled up if I had to take my helmet off in the future. They said that I should but they understand the hassle and are fine if I don't as I had bothered to ask.

Everytime I go there now, they always say hi and are very polite.

19. SteveH

SteveH

Urm, no, not really. I just had a while to wait before picking up the bike so had a weekend sat in the house with carp weather and just the manual and paperwork I'd already been given. The other half was watching some utter bilge on ye oldy sky+ box so thought I'd try and educate myself a bit ;)

Steve

20. By the time I've burnt my way through a tank of fuel I need to get off the bike to ease the pain in my arse and back! I usually pay at the pump unless the pretty petrol girl is manning the desk.